Lathe parts needed for stem work

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
stemandbriar

Lathe parts needed for stem work

Post by stemandbriar »

Wondering what is recommended for doing stem work. Mainly repairs.

I have a 1937 craftsman 101 12" lathe. I'm wondering what bits people recommend for turning Delin.
I have some extra machine steel and a grinder, I just don't know what I need to grind.

Also, for holding a stem blank, what turning techniques are recommended for getting the tennon turned?
Also, for holding the stem blank, what is best way to do this? I've heard the term pipe jaws, but I have no idea what those may be.

Thanks!
Sasquatch

Re: Lathe parts needed for stem work

Post by Sasquatch »

Most of us have at least one two-jaw chuck, and you could rig up any number of ways of holding a stem in that (add a couple blocks with v notches) or move to a more specialized piece. A 3 or 4 jaw chuck that would allow the stem to pass through into the spindle (assuming the lathe is big enough) will work too - all you are trying to accompish is to center the stem and spin it, after all.

As for "turning" delrin - don't. The point of the stuff is that it can be bought in incremental diameters. It doesn't tool well.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!