Dyeing Epoxy Black

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Alden

Dyeing Epoxy Black

Post by Alden »

What product do you use to dye epoxy black ?
Sasquatch

Re: Dyeing Epoxy Black

Post by Sasquatch »

I would buy black epoxy, but mixing a black dye powder in would probably work.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks Todd. I found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VL ... DGLTSV8XQJ It looks good but seems pricey for 2 oz. Then again 2 oz might last 5 years for all I know.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I totally suspect that would work just fine.

These guys have a black epoxy (slow setting)

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Glues,_adhe ... oxies.html

This isn't rocket science - you have the glue, you want it black, and black is easy as hell to do with anything from ground up carbon to unsanded black grout... Epoxy takes well to having stuff mixed into it usually.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Add some charcoal powder to it.

RAd
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Guess the answer really depends on what you want to use it for and how often you plan to use it. If you are going to use for decoration or filling holes then a bit of charcoal dust mixed in will work fine, as will some dye powder. If you are going to be using it for structural work then I recommend either buying the proper black epoxy of if you plan to use it a lot then get a proper epoxy system with matching dyes so the strength will not be affected.
Remember also that warming up epoxy will make it thinner and easier to mix, but will also affect the pot life.
Gershom

Post by Gershom »

Find a dormant volcano. Get the cooled lava and grind it into powder. Run the powder through your coffee machine. Get a cup of the stuff as you take the rest of the powder and mix it with your epoxy. If this does not work, when you develop kidney stones from drinking that crap, have the doctor give you a net to catch them with when you pass them, dry them, grind them up into fine powder, and add them to the epoxy. I mean come on, we are always talking about putting more of ourselves into our work. I heard this is what Rad did to get that award back in 2008... :notworthy:
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote:Add some charcoal powder to it.

RAd
Yeah, just break open those charcoal caps/pills and voilà.

They also make decent CA with black pigment, but the stuff I have has a very slow drying time.

Hope this Helps.™
Alden

Post by Alden »

Interesting answers. I'll post pics later of the pipe I had in mind for it. Like Chris asked (askwithed), it is a structural component of a stem. There is a small glue line and I think the finished piece would be much cleaner with black epoxy.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

I got one of those little 2-oz tubs of black dye for system 3 epoxy at my local Woodcraft store a few years ago. A single drop will dye a HUGE amount of epoxy. I suspect with the amount I use it will last me a lifetime.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Brownell's sells a black or brown dye for their two part epoxy used to "glass" bed rifle stocks:
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... 41614.aspx
Alden

Post by Alden »

I ordered an epoxy dye but while I was waiting for it to get here, I mixed some with powdered charcoal and it worked great. Havent used the dye yet but I think everybody else was right, the charcoal was all I needed.