why boxwood???

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
e Markle

Re: why boxwood???

Post by e Markle »

RadDavis wrote: All my boxwood are look like this:
Thanks Tarzan
ToddJohnson

Post by ToddJohnson »

Sasquatch wrote:All the raw boxwood I've ever handled was bright white (all 2 pieces). Maybe .... geez Rad, are you sure you didn't get a load of pine instead??
Boxwood starts off yellowish and ends up almost the color of deli mustard with heat and oxidation. It develops a nice rich patina over time and when handled it takes on an almost "waxy" appearance. If the "boxwood" you have seen was white, it must have been a different species than all the others I've used. In its "raw" form--meaning that you cut it out of your yard--boxwood and dogwood look very similar from the outside, though you could not mistake the two when looking at the "cut end."

TJ
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

All I've ever had were little twisty chunks about a foot long and an inch across. They were sold out of a specialty wood-working store as being very old and brought over from Europe. I have no idea if there is more than one varietal or species, or if it wasn't in fact boxwood at all. It was dense, almost grainless, and almost paper white. Never seen any since.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

RadDavis wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:All the raw boxwood I've ever handled was bright white (all 2 pieces). Maybe .... geez Rad, are you sure you didn't get a load of pine instead??
All my boxwood are look like this:

Also, boxwood does not need stabilizing. It's very dense and easy to work with very little tear out.

Rad
mmm, the boxwood looks great! Too bad the grain on the pipe sucks. :twisted:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

wisemanpipes wrote:wayne, when you stabilized your holly, did it go yellow or did it go yellow slowly after many smokes.
It turns ivory in color when stabilized with CA glue. That's the only method I've tried.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

wdteipen wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote:wayne, when you stabilized your holly, did it go yellow or did it go yellow slowly after many smokes.
It turns ivory in color when stabilized with CA glue. That's the only method I've tried.
i have some liquid wood stabilizer that i used for the holly. i vacuum the stabilizer into the wood and it has an apperance of an off white towards cream look (i dig it). ill let er dry for a day then turn it and drill it. hopefully it doesnt have that much tear out now.
evan
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

wisemanpipes wrote: i have some liquid wood stabilizer that i used for the holly. i vacuum the stabilizer into the wood and it has an apperance of an off white towards cream look (i dig it). ill let er dry for a day then turn it and drill it. hopefully it doesnt have that much tear out now.
evan
So, you don't really like boxwood because it's off white with no grain and sort of all "imitating ivory" and stuff. :P :lol: :lol:

Rad
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

RadDavis wrote:
wisemanpipes wrote: i have some liquid wood stabilizer that i used for the holly. i vacuum the stabilizer into the wood and it has an apperance of an off white towards cream look (i dig it). ill let er dry for a day then turn it and drill it. hopefully it doesnt have that much tear out now.
evan
So, you don't really like boxwood because it's off white with no grain and sort of all "imitating ivory" and stuff. :P :lol: :lol:

Rad
ahhh you are mistaken. i never said i didnt like it. i like the look of boxwood, but it is boring and plain. i love the ivory look actually. i like nice grain as well, but i do appreciate the qualities boxwood carries along with its non conflicting appearance. i will definitly be getting some when i visit the wood store next time. i was just curious as to why all high graders like to use it. thanks for the posts everyone its been informative. update: the holly ring has found a home on a nice billiard and hasnt changed colour...yet
evan
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

mredmond wrote:I think boxwood's plain grain is part of its charm. If you have a pipe with a striking contrast stain (smooth or blasted) and you add a piece of highly figured wood as an accent, it starts to get really busy. Some like that, some prefer a more restrained aesthetic. Boxwood works like ivory in that regard, it provides warmth and contrast without making the composition too busy.

Griffin exotics sells boxwood and have decent shipping rates.
Thanks for the heads up on Griffin Exotics. I got some boxwood ordered today.
www.exoticwood.biz
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

I'm sure someone mentioned this, but another good reason to use boxwood is that it's easier to work than black palm.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

lol amen to that. black palm is the tearout king
maddis

Post by maddis »

I spent many years playing the fiddle for several hours a day, and most of the rest of my waking time looking at instruments. Boxwood, by far, looked the most beautiful as a material for tailpieces and tuning pegs. There's something about the neutrality and consistency of its color that offsets orange and brown tones without competing with them.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

Is there a place to buy thin stock lumber in boxwood? I got some 1/8 and 1/4 thick 3"x24" yellowheart from Woodcraft, but I can't find it in boxwood. With no metal lathe, the thin stock lumber is the easiest way for me to make rings. Zip it out with a holesaw. Yellowheart is very close, but maybe a little more yellow than boxwood.
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

i dont think they have large sheets of boxwood as the tree doesnt grow very large in diameter, but im not 100% sure. like sas said his boxwood was a gnarled old branch and same with the stuff at the store i was in. i think if you want sheets of wood then domestic wood is your best option. i dont know of anyplaces that would have say cocobolo sheets? although that would be awesome.
AlfaDog

Post by AlfaDog »

wisemanpipes wrote:i dont think they have large sheets of boxwood as the tree doesnt grow very large in diameter, but im not 100% sure. like sas said his boxwood was a gnarled old branch and same with the stuff at the store i was in. i think if you want sheets of wood then domestic wood is your best option. i dont know of anyplaces that would have say cocobolo sheets? although that would be awesome.
Yep. Cocobolo, bubinga, purpleheart, yellowheart, rosewood, bloodwoodetc.etc. 3"x24" depending on the species thicknesses range from 1/16 to 3/8. Use a 1" hole saw and you've got a ring.
http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/Catego ... 39&&page=1

Don't get the veneer for super thin rings, it usually has glue on one side. Get the thinnest you can find and thin it with sandpaper on a flat surface.