Stem Design

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
archaggelosmichail

Stem Design

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I'm about to make a pipes with an offset sadlle like the following ones:

Do you have any idea how it's made? it has some lathe work or it's entirely by hand on a dremel-like tool?
Any pics would help.

Thanks a lot,
Michail
d.huber

Re: Stem Design

Post by d.huber »

The angled saddle is likely executed like this:

1. Cut the saddle on the lathe
2. Shape the saddle on the disk
3. Finish by hand if necessary

I've been thinking a lot about this myself and this method seems the most likely.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Second pipe done by off-angle turning - chuck the stem "crooked" and face the piece, or similar actions on a drill press, I'm assuming.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

I'm just guessing, but I think you need to be using delrin tenons in order to accomplish the second one. The first one you can shape by hand.

Rad
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Are you simply referring to the fact that the front and back aren't parallel? Or do you mean the bit is lower than the axis of the shank?
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

e Markle wrote:Are you simply referring to the fact that the front and back aren't parallel
That's it.

Thanks for your ideas, they are helpfull, I think I'm going to do it by hand.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

e Markle wrote:Are you simply referring to the fact that the front and back aren't parallel? Or do you mean the bit is lower than the axis of the shank?
I'm referring to the fact that I can't visualize how one would turn tenon at an angle to slip that inlay over, but I can visualize facing and gluing at a wonky angle and then inserting a tenon afterward.

Rad
bregolad

Post by bregolad »

RadDavis wrote:
e Markle wrote:Are you simply referring to the fact that the front and back aren't parallel? Or do you mean the bit is lower than the axis of the shank?
I'm referring to the fact that I can't visualize how one would turn tenon at an angle to slip that inlay over, but I can visualize facing and gluing at a wonky angle and then inserting a tenon afterward.

Rad
Seems like the only way. I've done it this way before because I couldn't think of different method.

Also, Just do it with files or a dremel, it's not much harder than cutting a normal saddle.
J&J Pipes
jnjpipes.com