Cutting a Stem - Video

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
WCannoy

Cutting a Stem - Video

Post by WCannoy »

So, I don't know how everyone else does it, but here's a condensed look at my process. I made this video as a bonus for my mailing list subscribers. I know I still need to post a video on slot work, but there's some included in this one.

LatakiaLover

Re: Cutting a Stem - Video

Post by LatakiaLover »

For the terminally curious, this is (I'm pretty sure) the saw blade used for the slot:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Mono-Tooth-Wax-Sawblade.html

They cut like a fiend, and never load like a file. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

LatakiaLover wrote:For the terminally curious, this is (I'm pretty sure) the saw blade used for the slot:

http://www.ottofrei.com/Mono-Tooth-Wax-Sawblade.html

They cut like a fiend, and never load like a file. :D

That is what it looks like. Specificaly, mine is a Kemper K-31
http://www.creativecoldsnow.com/browse. ... 18564.html
andrew

Post by andrew »

Geez, I just use a jigsaw blade glued in a stick.....

That blade thingy is too fancy for me :)
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

andrew wrote:Geez, I just use a jigsaw blade glued in a stick.....

That blade thingy is too fancy for me :)
I used to use the same thing. Walt let me know about those kemper tools and they are amazing! And cheap too!
andrew

Post by andrew »

Yeah, I just ordered a couple. Cheap is good!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I use a modified hacksaw blade. I tried use the abrafile type blades mentioned here but I just found that that they wander too much and mean you have to widen the slot with files to neaten things up. Just my experience though.
heri

Post by heri »

nice video! What brand of files do you use please?
UncleDraken

Post by UncleDraken »

These videos are incredibly helpful for noobs like myself, Walt! I'll watch as many as you can put out!
Brent

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education." Albert Einstein
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Nice video but why not a tapered bit? Don't you get a step in the top and bottom of your airway where it meets the slot?
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
birba

Post by birba »

very cool!
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

Great video! Thanks so much. Another question, though. Why do you drill your draught hole after turning the tenon down?

I am trying to embark into the arcane area of cutting my own stems and thank you much for your videos. I too have a Taig, so these are great for me.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Well done video. Enjoyed it Thanks.
Red

Post by Red »

Thanks, Walt.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wdteipen wrote:Nice video but why not a tapered bit? Don't you get a step in the top and bottom of your airway where it meets the slot?
No, between the file work and polishing the airway it ends up a fairly smooth transition. That's just the way I've always done it (before I knew there was such a thing as a tapered bit), and between the customer comments, and my own experience smoking my own work, I don't want to change my engineering. Here's a pic of a clear stem that I made. This was done probably almost ten years ago and I make the transition much smoother these days, but it will give you an idea anyway...

WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wmolaw wrote:Great video! Thanks so much. Another question, though. Why do you drill your draught hole after turning the tenon down?
I dunno... Why not? I could lie and say that I flipped a coin!

I've done it both ways, depending on the day of the week and what color shirt I was wearing at the time, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

If anyone has a good argument for one method over the other, I'm not too old to learn something new!
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

heri wrote:nice video! What brand of files do you use please?
For the slot work, I use the Kemper K-31. There's a link in one of my comments above.

For shaping the stem and button, I just use a half-round bastard file with a safe edge ground on one side.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

WCannoy wrote:
wmolaw wrote:Great video! Thanks so much. Another question, though. Why do you drill your draught hole after turning the tenon down?

I've done it both ways, depending on the day of the week and what color shirt I was wearing at the time, but it didn't seem to make a difference.

If anyone has a good argument for one method over the other, I'm not too old to learn something new!
I asked that as it just seems so much safer to drill a hole with a large volume of vulcanite to cushion/control the bit and drilling. With such a thin skin between the bit and the air, I would be concerned about heat expansion, bit movement, etc., etc.

Other than that, who knows.

I also ordered a couple of your files for the slot also. Thanks for the link!
Last edited by wmolaw on Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

wmolaw wrote:
WCannoy wrote:

I asked that as it just seems so much safer to drill a hole with a large volume of vulcanite to cushion/control the bit and drilling. With such a thin skin between the bit and the air, I would be concerned about heat expansion, bit movement, etc., etc.

Other than that, who knows.
Valid concerns. I take very small bites with the drill bit and clear the chips often. I have not had a problem with it myself...
5277a124

Post by 5277a124 »

Walt,

Great and informative video. Where did you get that small cylindrical dremel bit that you were using where the stem slopes up toward the shank?

Thanks,

Jeff