How is ivory simulated, imitated, or faked?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
badger685

How is ivory simulated, imitated, or faked?

Post by badger685 »

Hey guys I gots a good one: I've been commissioned. The only request was Art Nouveau. I want to create an ivory-looking mouthpiece/stem. The carving is the easy part. But I need some wisdom on how to make off-white acrylic look like real ivory from, say, 1909. Tips and tricks and ideas and suggestions and photos are very welcome. I have seen your bands/rings and inlays so I know it can be done but I want the whole mouths piece to look like ivory. Thank you gents.
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
caskwith

Re: How is ivory simulated, imitated, or faked?

Post by caskwith »

Why not make the stem out of one of the many ivory substitutes available, much easier than trying to colour up an acrylic stem (which won't work anyway)
badger685

Post by badger685 »

I seriously did not know substitutes were around. I have an off-white stem that has a lot of meat on it which is perfect for the carving part. It has the color, and even the small transitions of translucent and white streaks which I think make it look like ivory. In retrospect, I guess that would make it a substitute. But I have seen ivory, as it ages, have what looks like long shallow and narrow cracks for lack of better words that are blackish in color. That aged-look of the ivory is what I'm interested in.
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You could TRY dipping an acrylic rod in alcohol and seeing if you can get it to craze a bit, and then try to stain those cracks, but I have no idea if this will work or give you anything like what you want.

For me, I'd buy a "bone" rod from PME.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Are you kidding me? I can't believe what's passing for "dedication" these days among craftsmen.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

The only--and obviously--right way to make this stem is to go to Africa, wrestle an elephant down with your bare hands (guns are for wimps), trim off an appropriate length of tusk, and bring it back to your shop.

Duh.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

One of many options- Elforyn.
jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

You might try this: finish your bit a normal (ship the real fine sanding and polishing) then I would take a hook blade (very sharp) and flatten the surface of the bit you don't need it deep just to give the feel that it was hand carved now carefully sand in the direction of the length of the bit maybe 150, 100 sand paper (experimentation required). now to age I would try a wax finish mixed with color cement color is a good start (it's finely ground and is usually some form of iron oxide so probably non toxic) I would start with something like burnt sienna and burnt umber lighter color first then spot and blend the darker color ware you want the age ( around the mouth peace and at the base) hand apply and polish always with long strokes' (except when that is imposable like around the button). you want the surface to be ruff so it picks up the color in the scratches. you probably need to work warm.

This is just a guess but backed up with 30 yrs of experience in the faux finish It would be my first attempt. If I've been unclear, PM me with your phone #, in a conversation I can explain things better and have a better idea of what you want and give you suggestions. Believe it or not I've been brief leaving out details of the process.
Artisans never finish their work – they merely abandon it.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.
(Paraphrase from an unremembered source).

Steve / jjpipes
badger685

Post by badger685 »

I can totally visualize the process and result. I'm imagining it looking like an old pre-carved whale's tooth...like what they used for scrimshaw. When you say hook blade or hook knife (I can't see the post as I am doing this from my phone) are you referring to the knives that have a J-type looking blade usually used for cutting carpets or tree branches?
El Badger

jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

That's not what I had in mind, it might work so if you have one try it. Acrylic is so hard and slippery that I don't think any thing you push will give you the results "I Had in mind". I was thinking of a painters hook scraper, if it's really sharp you can draw it toward you putting significant downward presser on the acrylic. hopefully giving you nice flats that look like hand chisel marks ( please try this on a peace of junk acrylic first and support and clamp it very well or it will snap) good luck (I want pictures).

Are you going to Chicago? Maybe we could meet.
Ideally, they abandon it at that point, where they are not sure if change, will improve or diminish it.

Steve / jjpipes
badger685

Post by badger685 »

jjpipes wrote: Are you going to Chicago? Maybe we could meet.
I wish. I do have a junk piece I was already intending on experimenting on first. The commission is for, get this: the grampa of my boss' wife, so talk about pressure. But I am really excited. Both because I'm doing it but also because its for an older, lifelong pipe smoker who knows his sh_t BUT has never had a custom pipe built for himself. I told her that a genuine compliment from him would mean more than many compliments from pipesmokers my age. As you get older you recognize quality in way you couldn't see it if it slapped you in the face in yer 20s or 30s. There are always exceptions but I think that is the general truth. Thank you so much for your help in this. I genuinely appreciate that. Pictures will be.posted most definitely.
El Badger

jjpipes
Site Supporter

Post by jjpipes »

To bad would love to meet.
Have you seen Walt's (WCannoy) post in the gallery Apr 02, 2013 that's the best faux acrylic ivory I've seen

Steve / jjpipes
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

One option might be to join a pen turners forum like the International Association of Pen Turners. Some of the guys that turn pens cast their own acrylic blanks. One of them may have an idea of how to cast a blank that resembles aged ivory and be able to help you out.
Rodney