First time

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Cornelius

First time

Post by Cornelius »

Hey guys! first post, first time attempting a hand cut stem.
For some reason, i decided to just go for a stem that might be difficult.

I am going to use delrin for a tenon but i already used loctite epoxy to put these accents together.
Will this be trouble when i attempt to drill to fit the delrin?Image
caskwith

Re: First time

Post by caskwith »

As long as the delrin extends through the accents and into the main body of the stem you should be fine.
patiobum

Post by patiobum »

I am interested in your project. Please post pictures of you progress steps, it would be a great help.

Best of luck.
martin

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

1st post for me as well. I didn't realize I was actually registered until a couple days ago when I tried logging in just to see what would happen. It's ok though, I've found plenty to read here anyway.

It may be useful to clamp your blank in between a couple other small pieces of wood when you drill it. That should eliminate the risk of a piece popping loose as you drill the hole. As previously mentioned make your tenon long enough to go all the way through all the rings and into the stem. I'm also going to add my request for pictures.

I hope this helps,
Rodney
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

Thanks guys! I will definitely post pictures very soon
Jthompson1995

Post by Jthompson1995 »

If I might make a suggestion, you may find it better to face the main block of acrylic (or whatever the main material for your stem is), inserting the delrin tenon and drilling the air hole before gluing on the stem rings.

By gluing the rings on first, you run the risk of not getting a good seat of the stem to the shank if it is not drilled perfectly square. If your drilling setup is precisely square you should be ok but even a little angle may be noticeable in the end.
Anybody can become a woodworker, but only a Craftsmen can hide his mistakes!
-Walter Blodget
Cornelius

Post by Cornelius »

Well the delrin ended up coming out of the stem while sanding because i couldnt push it all the way through when i was epoxying.
I will try Jthompson's method
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Cornelius wrote:Well the delrin ended up coming out of the stem while sanding because i couldnt push it all the way through when i was epoxying.
I will try Jthompson's method
Be sure to make grooves both on the delrin and inside the mortise in the stem. Also, drill the delrin with a 1/16" bit first so the epoxy and air can escape when you push it in place.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Have you read the section on stem work? Use of delrin for tenons? It will save a lot of time. Good luck.