A Request

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Nick

A Request

Post by Nick »

If I understand whats I've read thus far, the stem inset ring essentially has a tennon on both sides, correct? Would anyone here be able to carve (or shape as the cas may be) a stem insert ring? I'm working on a pipe, (an neat interpritation of the Seahorse by Nordh), and would like to do a stem insert. I'm thinking about using sea coral, if I can find the right shade. I have a few stems, and feel pretty confident I can cut the mortise into one, but really don't have access to a lathe. Morover, I don't have any raw vulcanite to carve the insert from.

I'm willing to pay for the piece, as well as shipping.

Thanks,

Nick
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Nick,

I'm not sure I understand your request. You want to do a stem inlay, and are wanting to pay for what part of the process?

Tyler
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well, maybe I'm not understanding exactly how the insert thing is done. As I understand, the insert piece has two tennons, one for the stem and another for the stummel. The inlaid wood or other decoration is then glued onto this piece. Is that correct?
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

If I understand correctly, you are asking how to do a stem inlay (perhaps not the correct techincal term) If so, all you do is turn an exta-long tenon that you can epoxy a ring of your inlay material on. Often, after the inlay material, you also do a thin ring of vulcanite to finish the look. (This process is illustrated in some of the stem-making videos on this site.)

There is only one tenon, but it is long enough for the ring and then inserts into the mortise. The only caveat to this is that some makers like to make the tenon of a larger diameter in the area that the ring is glued on.

Did I answer your question?

Tyler
Last edited by Tyler on Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

OHH!OK. I get it. Yes, you did answer my question.

Thanks Tyler