angled tenon

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
pipeguy

angled tenon

Post by pipeguy »

Hi all the pipe Im working on the draft hole is not center in the mortise. It runs along the the top and the mortise and tenon fit fine
but if fit flush it won't draw If I angle the tenon like a 45 or 30 degree angle it will draw fine has anyone ever done this before I cant
work paint right or I'd make an image thanx
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Re: angled tenon

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipeguy wrote:Hi all the pipe Im working on the draft hole is not center in the mortise. It runs along the the top and the mortise and tenon fit fine
but if fit flush it won't draw If I angle the tenon like a 45 or 30 degree angle it will draw fine has anyone ever done this before I cant
work paint right or I'd make an image thanx
Is the airway simply high in the bottom of the mortise---meaning it's the END of the tenon that blocks it?

Or does the airway enter the mortise along the "side" or "wall"---meaning the bearing surface of the tenon blocks it?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Its just high George, not on the sides of the mortise the draft is center in the bowl :?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

pipeguy wrote:Its just high George, not on the sides of the mortise...
There are two ways to tweak that to get airflow, but only one that will allow a cleaner to pass.

Airflow alone can be achieved by countersinking the face (end) of the tenon---all the way out to its edge---with a 45-degree conical cutter. This can be done by hand, but using a Fordom/Dremel makes it easier.

Getting a cleaner to pass in addition to establishing airflow requires a "ramp" to be cut into the floor of the mortise with something like a rounded-end Zip cutter (the sort of bit used to cut drywall). This is very difficult & tedious to do by hand with files, but it's possible. A Fordom/Dremel w/Zip tip is much preferred.

If it were my pipe I'd do both.
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

pipeguy wrote:Its just high George, not on the sides of the mortise the draft is center in the bowl :?
Can't you just slice off an angle from the top of the tenon? If I'm understanding the issue correctly. If the draught hole is high in the mortise, if you chop off (at an angle) the top of the tenon, that should accomplish what you need.

Again, assuming I am understanding you properly.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wmolaw wrote:
Can't you just slice off an angle from the top of the tenon? If I'm understanding the issue correctly. If the draught hole is high in the mortise, if you chop off (at an angle) the top of the tenon, that should accomplish what you need.
That will establish airflow only, but looks like shit. :lol: It screams "amateur." Plus, it will cause a significant problem later when the unsupported area of mortise wall swells from the heat and humidity of repeated smoking. Not recommended.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

You can cut the tenon on and angle and countersink it, works no problem but it's a bit ugly.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

Or...............................you could just do a better job of drilling. :twisted:

Rad
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

Rad, I've been told I drill just fine. I now have to concentrate on wood :shock: