Stem design and dimensions for a Savinelli Autograph 4

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
phirty

Stem design and dimensions for a Savinelli Autograph 4

Post by phirty »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post and I have been lurking, reading and learning about pipe making for several months and am just getting started, and have been trying to improve my stem/bit making skills by purchasing some decent estate pipes in need of a new stem.

I recently purchased this Savinelli Autograph 4 from eBay (I have attempted to post a picture, hopefully this will post OK).

This is a massive pipe (I didn't really have a perspective on the size when I purchased it but I really like it). The bowl height is 2.9" (outside) with a .90" chamber diameter at the top (tapered) and the shank/stem junction is square and measures .525". I have done thorough searches online trying to find a similar Savinelli pipe to try to get a clue on the type of stem it may have had originally and have been unsuccessful to this point.

I have contacted Savinelli Italy via e-mail to inquire about my options, but have yet to hear back on if they can repair or replace the stem (I would prefer to do the work myself but don't really know where to start on the dimensions and design).

Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

Thanks guys . . . .
LatakiaLover

Re: Stem design and dimensions for a Savinelli Autograph 4

Post by LatakiaLover »

No two stems are alike enough dimensionally to make pre-made ones possible. Believe it or not, every pipe you've ever seen (except maybe something rustic like a corncob) had to have its stem fitted by hand to some degree. And the more expensive the pipe, the more hand work goes into it, all the way up to 100%.

Autographs are at the high end of so-called "factory" pipes (Savinelli is considered a "factory" maker), but they don't go down the assembly line. Blocks for them are set aside as soon as they're delivered and identified, and handed over to artisan carvers who work in a separate area of the plant.. Meaning, the only way you can get a stem for your pipe is to either return it to Italy---stems can't be made separately---or send it to a repairman in the US.

As for doing it yourself, that would be effectively impossible without specialized tools. Pipe stems aren't suitable kitchen table projects.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
phirty

Post by phirty »

Latakia, first thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated, I never cease to be amazed at the generosity of the experienced pipe makers on this forum to us up-and-comer builders, it is really quite cool.

Understood completely on the need for a fitted stem and that there is no such thing as a factory replacement without return to Italy or having someone do it custom (I have already reached out to Savinelli in Italy but have not yet heard back on how much they would charge to do a replacement stem).

As far as doing myself, I do have a lathe, files and tools needed to do the stem work so it is not the arrows at this point but the Indian (me), I was more soliciting some ideas on the stem style and dimensions for this specific pipe as I have never seen a Savinelli like it. Specifically wondering if the overall length of the stem would be longer than normal with the very tall (2.9") bowl dimensions.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply, appreciate it very much.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

For shape, length & etc. recommendations, you'll have to try posting that pic again. The first attempt didn't take.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

pic would help for sure.

Savinelli as of about 15 years ago (I think) went to a standard tenon which accepts their balsa filter. I think there's a few different sizes, but I would guess that if the pipe is newer, it would be easy for them to send you a partially finished stem to work with.

If it's an older pipe, those had vulcanite stems with a turned tenon and I don't know how standard that size was.

This sounds do-able but difficult for a first pipey project to me.

Savinelli does or did have an authorized repair depot in the USA.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Sasquatch wrote: Savinelli as of about 15 years ago (I think) went to a standard tenon which accepts their balsa filter. I think there's a few different sizes, but I would guess that if the pipe is newer, it would be easy for them to send you a partially finished stem to work with.
That's ^^^^ a good example of a maker's vs. repairman's perspective.

You're assuming, for example, that the stummel's mortise is still circular in cross-section, still has parallel sides, and is still the same nominal diameter it was drilled.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And so on. Working on used pipes is strategically the same as as making new ones, but tactically very different.
This sounds do-able but difficult for a first pipey project to me.
Depends on the desired result. Simply regaining function---returning a tobacco access device to service---is one thing, making a stem that looks good and fits properly is another.
phirty

Post by phirty »

Sasquatch, thanks for the info and reply. Trying to post the pics, here it is again, this time with a link as well:

Image or link: http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/y44 ... 7fb528.jpg

Here is another pic with a first pass idea on a stem design. Looking for honest and open critique on the design and dimensions (I have thick skin and want to learn and get better), trying to keep the top and bottom lines on the shank flowing into the stem, not sure about how sharp the stem is at the transition to the narrower section. Overall dimensions with this stem design is 7" total length, 3.5" length of the stem. Here is a pic of that as well:

Image[/URL][/img] and a link: [URL=http://s1275.photobucket.com/user/phirt ... e.jpg.html]

To clarify, I have done a bit of stem work on estate pipes so this is not the very first endeavor, but certainly more adventurous than recreating existing stems/bits from straights or existing damaged stems. It is a 5/16" mortise and a 5/32" shank/air hole.

Thanks again for the input guys, really appreciate it.
Rodneywt1180b

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I took a quick look and didn't find any exact matches for your pipe. There seems to be a lot of variation in the series. Not surprising I guess. I saw a few with somewhat similar stummels and for the most part they seem to have proportionally short saddle stems. Given the variation in pipes what you drew up would be fine. I tend to be pretty literal minded. Did you intend the step down in size at the shank/stem intersection? The pipes I looked at all had a smooth transition from shank to stummel and your pipe looks like it was designed for the same treatment as well. Other than that, what you drew would look good for the pipe.
Rodney
phirty

Post by phirty »

Rodney, thanks for the reply. Agreed, not finding anything as a direct comparison and a lot of variations. Intending a smooth transition to the shank/stem, just a photo anomaly as the paper is 2d and the pipe 3d, not intending any step down at all. Found something close in a Savinelli with a square stem, pic is attached (hopefully):

Drilled for the delrin tenon today, will start crafting the stem over the weekend when I get to work on it again. Will post some pics of the final product when it gets finished up.

Thanks again for the input guys, really appreciated . . . .