Bamboo Stems - Help

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
brurobas

Bamboo Stems - Help

Post by brurobas »

Good evening guys!

I am buying a smaller lathe for stem work in the next few days and i want to start making bamboo stems.

I have tried to search the forum but i cannot find an answer to my main doubts, which are:

- Is it possible to face / drill bamboo on a lathe?
- If not, how do you achieve that smooth transition between the bamboo and the briar / ebonite / acrylic?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Bruno Robalo
wisemanpipes

Re: Bamboo Stems - Help

Post by wisemanpipes »

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

That's a pretty good link. I use pin gauges to chuck up the bamboo after it's drilled to face off the ends. One thing I do different than the process in the link is that I use 3/8" OD stainless steel tube with and ID of 5/32". After I drill the 5/32" airway I drill a 3/8" mortise for the stainless. That way there are no reductions in the airway to cause issues.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:That's a pretty good link. I use pin gauges to chuck up the bamboo after it's drilled to face off the ends. One thing I do different than the process in the link is that I use 3/8" OD stainless steel tube with and ID of 5/32". After I drill the 5/32" airway I drill a 3/8" mortise for the stainless. That way there are no reductions in the airway to cause issues.
Yeah, I don't do it that way anymore either. I do it with pin gauges and 3/16" stainless. My pipes are feminine though, and Wayne's are manly, so he can get away with 3/8". :D
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Oops! I meant 3/16" not 3/8". You're right, though, my pipes are much more manly. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

brurobas wrote:Good evening guys!

I am buying a smaller lathe for stem work in the next few days and i want to start making bamboo stems.

I have tried to search the forum but i cannot find an answer to my main doubts, which are:

- Is it possible to face / drill bamboo on a lathe?
- If not, how do you achieve that smooth transition between the bamboo and the briar / ebonite / acrylic?

Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Bruno Robalo
1. - Yes, facing is usually done on lathe. Drilling can be done by hand or on lathe or drill press.
2. - Facing also can be done by hand if you do not have access to the lathe with files, sandpaper and flat surface.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

PremalChheda wrote:2. - Facing also can be done by hand if you do not have access to the lathe with files, sandpaper and flat surface.
I use an aircraft counterbore chucked in my motor to flush bamboo

It has a piece of 3/16 drill rod intsalled in the pilot. While it's spinning, I push my piece of bamboo onto the pin and the face cutters flush the end of the bamboo.

Charl

Post by Charl »

Cool idea, Kim. 2-in-1 then! Saving on time and making it easier.
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

kkendall wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:2. - Facing also can be done by hand if you do not have access to the lathe with files, sandpaper and flat surface.

It has a piece of 3/16 drill rod intsalled in the pilot. While it's spinning, I push my piece of bamboo onto the pin and the face cutters flush the end of the bamboo.

you're holding the bamboo by hand? i've been using a fuller counterbore in a drill press and the holding the bamboo in a vise with some v blocks, do you find the bamboo is faced 100% square by hand? hairline gaps in the shank stem junctions seem hard to avoid but thats why i thought the bamboo was usually chucked up and faced on the lathe. that counterbore looks more like a pen mill than the one i use
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

mcgregorpipes wrote:
kkendall wrote:

you're holding the bamboo by hand? i've been using a fuller counterbore in a drill press and the holding the bamboo in a vise with some v blocks, do you find the bamboo is faced 100% square by hand? hairline gaps in the shank stem junctions seem hard to avoid but thats why i thought the bamboo was usually chucked up and faced on the lathe. that counterbore looks more like a pen mill than the one i use
Bamboo can't really be chucked up. If a lathe is used to face (and it often is), then you mount it on a pin and chuck the pin.
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

mcgregorpipes wrote: you're holding the bamboo by hand? i've been using a fuller counterbore in a drill press and the holding the bamboo in a vise with some v blocks, do you find the bamboo is faced 100% square by hand? hairline gaps in the shank stem junctions seem hard to avoid but thats why i thought the bamboo was usually chucked up and faced on the lathe. that counterbore looks more like a pen mill than the one i use
Yes - I hold the bamboo by hand, run it up on the pin and flush the face.
"faced 100% square by hand?" ... yes