Corian stem?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
caskwith

Corian stem?

Post by caskwith »

Anyone made a stem from corian? I have used it for accents and it was very nice. Got the potential of some good sized pieces and I think it would be very cool to make stems from it, I would guess it's just like acrylic?
oklahoma red

Re: Corian stem?

Post by oklahoma red »

Corian is a DuPont trade name and it is acrylic based and can be heat formed.
They have competition, largely from Korea. Some of the stuff on the market is polyester based which tends to be more brittle and I would think should be avoided.
I've used Corian in making pens and it processes just like conventional acrylic. I personally have never put any on a pipe, most likely because there is too much other stuff to choose from and I've not made it to it's spot on the list yet. Corian and other solid surface materials have various fillers mixed in and I cannot speak as to any toxicity issues. Its main use is in counter tops so it can't be too bad. As to out-gassing from heat, who knows. Probably not hot enough in a pipe adornment or stem to cause problems.
Chas.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Like you Chris, I've only used it for accents. It works well and polishes well. It will be interesting to see a stem made from it, should toxicity not be an issue.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

I highly doubt toxicity will be an issue, it's food safe for worktops and cutting boards, I've even seen people turn plates and cups from it. It's certainly no worse than sulphurised rubber lol. My main concern was if it is strong enough to bite down on. From the research I have done though it looks as if it will be at least as strong as polyester and probably almost as tough as an acrylic stem. I'll be sure to test it out before sale of course.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

How come you always post in the middle of the night, Chris?

It's like you live halfway around the world, or something.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Chris is only a quarter of the way around the world, I am halfway! :)
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote:Chris is only a quarter of the way around the world, I am halfway! :)
I call BS. Everyone knows humans can't live for long in Africa because they get trampled by elephants and eaten by lions. It's just a mystical-fantasy place.

So, where are you really? Pittsburgh?
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

If you can make a briar stem as well as you do, I want to see the corian one!, it'll be phenomonal at least for a tester. Whats stopping you from giving it a shot?

And to see where the opposite side of the world is, depending on your location, http://www.freemaptools.com/tunnel-to-o ... -earth.htm
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Charl wrote:Chris is only a quarter of the way around the world, I am halfway! :)
I call BS. Everyone knows humans can't live for long in Africa because they get trampled by elephants and eaten by lions. It's just a mystical-fantasy place.

So, where are you really? Pittsburgh?
Yeah but after the Rhino tramples the person he steals their suits, put its on and takes over their life in disguise. Charl really does live in Africa but he is actually a Rhino in disguise, the original Charl was long since squashed but it doesn't matter since he couldn't make pipes so we would have no interest in talking to him.

:D
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Vermont Freehand wrote:If you can make a briar stem as well as you do, I want to see the corian one!, it'll be phenomonal at least for a tester. Whats stopping you from giving it a shot?

And to see where the opposite side of the world is, depending on your location, http://www.freemaptools.com/tunnel-to-o ... -earth.htm
I'll be giving it a shot as soon as I get the Corian. Most places around here only sell 1/2" thick pieces and if you ask for samples from suppliers then it can be even smaller. A friend though has bought some 30mm solid countertop and so I am going to buy his offcuts, should be plenty thick for stems.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Yeah but after the Rhino tramples the person he steals their suits, put its on and takes over their life in disguise. Charl really does live in Africa but he is actually a Rhino in disguise, the original Charl was long since squashed but it doesn't matter since he couldn't make pipes so we would have no interest in talking to him.

:D
:roll: Ha! You colonialist pig! :lol: You got it all wrong: It's running away from the lions, getting trampled by elephants, crawling to the river to escape and then being eaten by crocodiles. Only then the suit gets stolen!
The corian I have is from samples the Mrs got (she's an interior designer). They are mainly 12mm x 70 x 70. But here, on order, you only get 6 and 12mm. Baffles me how people could use it for kitchen tops, it scratches like crazy.