Making sure I know what I did wrong?

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
E.L.Cooley

Making sure I know what I did wrong?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hey all,
This is a pic of the stem from my old kaywoodie. Please excuse the bite marks. I received the beall system last night. I thought I would start with some thing that might not hurt so bad if I rocketed it across the garage.
The tool marks across the stem. Are they caused by me pushing too hard into the wheel, or by using tripoli on the stem? I included the before and after of the KW and the one I've been working on. ( it did get shot across the room.) ThxImageImageImage

Sent from my banana phone.
E.L.Cooley

Re: Making sure I know what I did wrong?

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Sorry I thought I had loaded before and after, just after and after

caskwith

Post by caskwith »

They are most likely caused by the fact that factories do not often sand their stems very well and rely on buffing compounds to get the polish, buffing the scratches left on the stem causes a rippled finish like this. If you want to experiment sand this stem starting at 320 and work up to about 1000 and then buff again with Tripoli and don't push too hard, the difference should be clearly seen.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Make sure you don't just polish in one direction or in one location. You can get more pronounced waves that are difficult to get rid of.

andrew
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Thanks guys wanted to feel the fresh wax in my mouth, I've kind of abused this one over the years. I will sand it when I get home and rewax