My solution to shaping smaller stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
mightysmurf8201

My solution to shaping smaller stems

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I've been having a heck of a time shaping smaller sized stems because they are a pain to hold onto as you run a file or rasp across it, especially bigger files that don't leave much room to hold onto, so I came up with a simple solution to my problem, and figured I'd offer it here in case anyone else wanted to borrow my idea. I know I'm not the first to person to use some kind of platform for shaping stems, but this is what I came up with. I just took a small block of wood and clamped it to the workbench. Instead of holding the stem still with my hand, I just push the button end into the block hard enough that it stays steady. If you look closely, I also made a small step on the edge of the block, that way the stem doesn't get pushed in the direction that I'm cutting with the file. If anyone else has any other techniques, I'd be interested in hearing what you all have come up with.

#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
jogilli
Site Supporter

Re: My solution to shaping smaller stems

Post by jogilli »

Make a handle.... Like on tools... Drill a mortis in it and use it to hold onto... The 1 by 4 can still be used As a brace... Your going to give yourself hand cramps

I have about 10 I use all made from either bamboo for 4mm tenons and rungs out of my neighbors baby crib when the threw it out..

James
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

Make a handle with a mortise in it that you can put the stem on. That'll give you something to hold so you don't strain your hands and wrists. You can also put the handle in a vise to free up both hands for sanding or filing.
mightysmurf8201

Very good advice fellas. I will find/make a handle post haste.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

So I won't throw any names out but the first time I saw the handle with mortise in it. It was in a utube video from a maker I respect a lot. It looked like they were ebonite a nice big diameter. Maybe 19mm or bigger I thought that's what I'll do. I'll probably cheap out for now and use 2x4. In another video I saw another well respected guy had cutouts on the edge of his bench that the button fit into. Also a great idea. These two inspired me and I ordered delrin and ebonite from Steve. Hopefully I'll be able to say I've sworn off prefab stems. Baby steps.

Sent from my banana phone.
mightysmurf8201

It's interesting to see all the neat ideas that come out of pipe makers shops. Since the minute I finished my first hand cut stem, I knew that if I ever used a prefab again, it would be rare. I don't mind the extra work because of the significant difference in the quality of the stem, and once you get used to the process, it actually goes much faster than the first few times you do it.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The easiest and cheapest ready-to-go stem handle I know of is a cheapie drill chuck.

Just remember to put a couple turns of masking tape on the tenon first.

http://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-SoftGrip-S ... rill+chuck
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mightysmurf8201

I like that idea LL. That way you don't need a whole bunch of handles for each size.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

A drill chuck will work and I have used that method but I have found when you are really bearing down and filing hard the stem can flex or even snap because it is only support by the tenon. If you make a handle which has a nice large flat face just like your shank then it is supported at the tenon and the face of the stem and is much more stable, plus the handle will prevent you damaging the face or edge.

This is one of the reasons that I standardised my tenon sizes so then I can have a whole range of different handles for a shaping and buffing, some allowing maximum protection and hand comfort and others allowing precision sanding and buffing.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

LatakiaLover wrote:The easiest and cheapest ready-to-go stem handle I know of is a cheapie drill chuck.

Just remember to put a couple turns of masking tape on the tenon first.

http://www.amazon.com/Jacobs-SoftGrip-S ... rill+chuck
Cool idea, but I might be a little worried about scratching the tenon.

I just bought some 1" dowel rod, cut it to the length I wanted, drilled a mortise, and voila! Stem handle. :)
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

caskwith wrote:...but I have found when you are really bearing down and filing hard...
Bearing down? Filing hard? How dreadful. Sounds exhausting. :lol:

I vaguely recall doing something like that long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Don't exactly miss it, though.

Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I have a similar method. wrap the tenon with a few wraps of hockey shin guard tape (it doesnt tear or leave dents and residue like masking or other types of tape) and chuck the tenon into a small 3 jaw or drill chuck. I cut the slot last so I use the live center of my lathe to support the button end of the stem while shaping. My wood lathe indexes at 12 points so i can lock the spindle and whatever angle im currently working. As george said in his stem finishing video, it is sometimes easier to move the work than the tool so I will rotate the spindle of the lathe back and forth with my left hand while filing the stem with my right to get the arc near the button.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

d.huber wrote: Cool idea, but I might be a little worried about scratching the tenon.
Masking tape is amazingly tough when compressed. Two wraps = no worries.
I just bought some 1" dowel rod, cut it to the length I wanted, drilled a mortise, and voila! Stem handle. :)
Us repair dudes have to catch every ball thrown our way. We'd have to (literally) have about 250 of those. :lol:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

fuchi_jeg wrote:I have a similar method. wrap the tenon with a few wraps of hockey shin guard tape (it doesnt tear or leave dents and residue like masking or other types of tape)
Thanks for the tip. I've already placed an order:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_kk_1?rh= ... 1393281471
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

sorry george. You want the clear poly stuff. not the friction tape. its too gummy.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

fuchi_jeg wrote:sorry george. You want the clear poly stuff. not the friction tape. its too gummy.
No worries. That's the flavor I got:

http://www.amazon.com/Renfrew-Scapa-Tap ... ockey+tape
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

LatakiaLover wrote: Bearing down? Filing hard? How dreadful. Sounds exhausting. :lol:

I vaguely recall doing something like that long ago, in a galaxy far, far away. Don't exactly miss it, though.

Great George!

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Ccoolee wrote: Great George!
You have no idea. Think variable width, variable grit, variable speed moto-rasp. :D

Kinda like having one of these for your driveway if you live in Syracuse, NY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd-02kfV3LU
BobR

Post by BobR »

So why not just shape the stem when it's in the real mortise on the pipe?

Bob
Bob
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Hakuna matata= no worries