Bet this guy could make a nice stem.

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
caskwith

Re: Bet this guy could make a nice stem.

Post by caskwith »

Robin Wood is a great turner, he is a member of another forum I frequent, his partner also carves and they both make beautiful items the old fashioned way.
LittleBill

Re: Best this guy could make a nice stem.

Post by LittleBill »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Sasquatch wrote: That guy's setup is probably the only one I've ever seen that makes my own look pretty high-tech.
This guy makes HIM look high tech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz7PJ2WuLWA
Videos like this one really make me appreciate 3 phase power. :P

It is always impressive to see someone who really knows what they are doing though, hand or power tools.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

It looks like the reason for all the Rube Goldberg techniques are for efficiency and speed. The the tilting, manually controlled tool rest, rope gizmo, and etc.

Hard to master, but once you have it beats hands down the fastest tool-changer using a machine lathe that I've ever seen.

(The biggest surprise is that vulcanite is rigid enough to not chatter when supported from only one end.)

The final finish isn't quite what it could be on the barrel and threads, but that isn't technique dependent but more a matter of adding a few minutes effort at the end.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Amazing! They make it look so easy.