Stem finish

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
lancefisher51

Stem finish

Post by lancefisher51 »

I have looked through this forum. Im not sure if i just cant find what I'm looking for or maybe the info was deleted in that crash? Either way. Im currently on the final stages of sanding my pipe (without stem attached). I was wandering. At what grit sand paper should I start sanding the stem?

Lance
Using Tapatalk
NathanA
Site Supporter

Re: Stem finish

Post by NathanA »

The short answer is : whatever grit you need to get out the scratches from your previous tools/paper. If you have used a file start with 150 or 180.
Without Wax (Sincerely),
Nathan
www.armentroutpipes.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

If the stem is a flush fit ALWAYS shape and sand them shank and stem as one piece. This will prevent you from rounding the edges of the shank and creating a gap. If it is a fancy stem you can sand it whenever you want and it doesn't have to be on the pipe. I would suggest making a handle to put the stem in to cut down on hand cramps. If it is a preform stem I start at 180 and work my way through the grits. This is after I have adjusted the bite zone and button.

Hope this helps.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

What Nathan said. With good file technique and maybe a scraper you should be starting at about 150grit, maybe 240 if you have a fine file. The only exception would be when working with bamboo shanks, then I start at 320 but only after very carefully filing as smooth as possible.
lancefisher51

Post by lancefisher51 »

This pipe I'm working on now is by far my best one to this point. However. The stem and shank are not flush (not even close) but that's something I'm gonna have to work on. When pipe os finished ill post that way you can all yip an yell an holler an tell me everything I did was wrong lol

Lance
Using Tapatalk
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Just file it down first make us all work for the flaw.

Sent from my banana phone.