Bamboo shank and rings on the ends

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
wdteipen

Re: Bamboo shank and rings on the ends

Post by wdteipen »

I like to put rings on both ends for aesthetic reasons. I do things a bit different on the stem end. I like to turn a tenon on the ring for that end and drill a mortise in the bamboo to accept it. That way it serves as a sleeve for the mortise so I don't have bamboo supporting the SS tenon. It's stronger and more durable and really not that difficult to do. The only limitation is that it won't work on really small bamboo but I've never made a pipe requiring bamboo so small I couldn't make it work.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Bamboo shank and rings on the ends

Post by Tyler »

wdteipen wrote:I like to put rings on both ends for aesthetic reasons. I do things a bit different on the stem end. I like to turn a tenon on the ring for that end and drill a mortise in the bamboo to accept it. That way it serves as a sleeve for the mortise so I don't have bamboo supporting the SS tenon. It's stronger and more durable and really not that difficult to do. The only limitation is that it won't work on really small bamboo but I've never made a pipe requiring bamboo so small I couldn't make it work.
You already said rings are for aesthetics. Make up your mind.

:D :P :D
wdteipen

Re: Bamboo shank and rings on the ends

Post by wdteipen »

Tyler wrote:
wdteipen wrote:I like to put rings on both ends for aesthetic reasons. I do things a bit different on the stem end. I like to turn a tenon on the ring for that end and drill a mortise in the bamboo to accept it. That way it serves as a sleeve for the mortise so I don't have bamboo supporting the SS tenon. It's stronger and more durable and really not that difficult to do. The only limitation is that it won't work on really small bamboo but I've never made a pipe requiring bamboo so small I couldn't make it work.
You already said rings are for aesthetics. Make up your mind.

:D :P :D
My thoughts are constantly evolving so my answers change by the minute. :lol:
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com