Dunhill quill stem for "Don" shape

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
LatakiaLover

Dunhill quill stem for "Don" shape

Post by LatakiaLover »

Part of what attracts me to repair work is the challenge of copying old stems and finishes on collectables. The pipe equivalent of those guys who fix old, damaged oil paintings, or re-weave damaged portions of old Indian blankets. The Ghostbuster you call when simply returning an object's functionality isn't enough because authenticity is important.

I recently got sent for re-stemming an uncommon pipe that Dunhill made off and on for years that's known as the "Don" for some reason (shape #483). It's a dainty, less-than-an-ounce sitter with no shank and a quill stem. In the truly old days such pipes actually used a bird's wing bone for the stem---thus the "quill" reference---but after a while someone at Dunhill decided to improve the durability of their quill-sitter's stem by making it from vulcanite. :shock:

I'm reasonably certain that the reason the pipes are uncommon is that, 1) When Alfred realized what he'd gotten himself into, he didn't make many of them; and 2) when owners lost or damaged the stem, getting a replacement meant shipping their bowl to England, paying a lot, and waiting a long time because their neighborhood tobacconist's repair guy---being intelligent---said, "No fucking way... get that thing away from me!"

I've only made a handful of these over the years, and always swear that each will be my last, but this time the guy who wanted it was one of YOU bastards, so I couldn't say no without looking like I talked a better game than I walked. :lol:

So here it is.

By coincidence, I happened to have a #483 from the same year in my own collection that had a subtly different stem from the one sent (no two are exactly alike), so I decided that combining the strengths of each specimen would still be 100% authentic. (Mine had a more graceful fishtail flare and elegant dot size, while his had a more graceful bend and dot position)

For the curious, it's a military (tapered) fit, not a conventional, parallel-sided mortise & tenon; and the reason for the metal lining is because the stem is so thin it needs reinforcement to keep from collapsing.

EDIT: I added a pic of the stem when it was partially done since a lathe wasn't used, and the technique might be useful for anyone who thinks lathes are a must in this biz. Also, the unidentifiable coin in the crappy pic is a US quarter (shown for scale).

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Yak

Re: Dunhill quill stem for "Don" shape

Post by Yak »

:notworthy: :shock: :shock: :shock:
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Well, I guess I'll publicly 'fess up to being the rotten bastard that sent it to you. I'll give you a heads-up that I'm on the prowl for more since you did such a magnificent job on this one. :lol: I just missed one on Ebay recently that had a piece of soft copper tubing for a stem! I've been meaning to ask you how old do you think this one might be?
I AM IMPRESSED and I will definitely treasure this one George.
Chas.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Pretty amazing George.

Sent from my banana phone.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

An addendum: you will note my fondness for the Dunhill Duke/Don model as I use one with my spin on it as my avatar. I've made several and I cannot seem to part with them. Great smokers.
Chas.
Alden

Post by Alden »

Thanks for sharing that, nice work.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

oklahoma red wrote:I've been meaning to ask you how old do you think this one might be?
It was made in 1950.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

George, your stem work skills are amazing. You, sir, are a savant.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Would have looked better if you made it on a lathe ;)
andrew

Post by andrew »

That's a nice stem. Nice George.

andrew
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

caskwith wrote:Would have looked better if you made it on a lathe ;)
this^^

but seriously nice work! great stem
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

wisemanpipes wrote:
caskwith wrote:Would have looked better if you made it on a lathe ;)
this^^
You gentlemen have obviously never seen me operate a lathe. This is a video of my actual first attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-8Uz73i1o
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

You gentlemen have obviously never seen me operate a lathe. This is a video of my actual first attempt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp-8Uz73i1o
And to think these may be some of our future leaders. Perish the thought.
Chas.