Stem bending time...

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Joe T

Stem bending time...

Post by Joe T »

When in the process of making the stem do you make the bend? This is my first time making my own stem for a pipe, and I want to get it right the first time... if possible. :)

Do you make the bend after the shape is roughed out, once the stem has been refined a bit, or when it's nearly finished?
Joe Thieman
Alden

Re: Stem bending time...

Post by Alden »

Just before buffing for me.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I buff before bending then buff again if necessary. That's because I usually have sanding scratches to remove after the first time buffing that are easier to remove with a straight stem.

I know some people use a flame for bending, but I prefer a heat gun because you don't have to remove candle or fuel residue from the stem that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

The briar is finished and the stem buffed with red compound, bend, re-buff the stem with red, white, then finish with waxing. for me, it's the last in the process, prior to stamping and bowl coating. Wear gloves during this process as to not scratch anything on the pipe.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

I usually shape, sand, buff with red then white, then bend, then sand any micro rippling or distorted lines with 400, then repeat red, white, and then wax.
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

baweaverpipes wrote:The briar is finished and the stem buffed with red compound, bend, re-buff the stem with red, white, then finish with waxing. for me, it's the last in the process, prior to stamping and bowl coating. Wear gloves during this process as to not scratch anything on the pipe.
Depending on the gloves one is wearing, one may have to sand out stitching marks impressed into the ebonite after bending it. You do not need to ask me how I know that. And I am a grizzled veteran of one bent stem so far! :oops:
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Sand to 320, bend then finish sand and polish.

Really though it depends on the stem, some stems I bend after filing as I know they will require more shaping after bending.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

baweaverpipes wrote:The briar is finished and the stem buffed with red compound, bend, re-buff the stem with red, white, then finish with waxing. for me, it's the last in the process, prior to stamping and bowl coating. Wear gloves during this process as to not scratch anything on the pipe.
This.

It's one of the last things I do.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com