rotating the stem

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
Thomas Tkach

Re: rotating the stem

Post by Thomas Tkach »

I think he meant 'low quality' as a modifier, not a universal predication. With this stem I wonder if the un-evenness of the molding caused the tenon to be turned off-center by the kit supplier. I know it's oversized enough at the shank junction to be trued up, but I'm not sure if there is enough room at the button with the pre-cut slot to even out. I'll try to post a pic, because I'd love to know what to do with this guy, especially from an expert like yourself.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

sandahlpipe wrote:
Do you have any brand recommendations for stem blanks for those who don't use rod stock?

Giudici Ebonite bits are very nice. I used them for a couple of years before I learned to cut a stem.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

sandahlpipe wrote:
I'm not disagreeing with you, George. I don't believe I claimed that low quality and stem blanks were synonyms.
I wasn't sure what you meant, which is why I said, "(if that is what you meant)" :lol:

Thanks for the clarification.
I have dozens of stem blanks that I use for shop pipes. There are some of them which are indeed worthless as the slot is so off center that it's pretty much impossible to get a nice looking stem, no matter how large the blank is. I presume that the one in this kit was like that. I wasn't going off what I read on the internet, just my (limited) experience with low-quality stem blanks. I'm sure there are stem blanks out there with better quality, but I have no experience with those.
10-4 on a too-far-off-center slot making a blank worthless. A few of the Italian models (shapes? numbers?) are carelessly made, along with some of the Greek stuff, but it is usually a given molding that's bad, not the entire production.

Do you have any brand recommendations for stem blanks for those who don't use rod stock?
Better & easier would be to call Steve Norse and tell him you're only interested in his best and cleanest blanks. Steve's the best thing to happen to North American pipe makers in a long time. :D
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
WCannoy

Post by WCannoy »

LatakiaLover wrote: Steve's the best thing to happen to North American pipe makers in a long time. :D
Agreed.
Alden

Post by Alden »

WCannoy wrote:
LatakiaLover wrote: Steve's the best thing to happen to North American pipe makers in a long time. :D
Agreed.
Yup.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Definitely!
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Alden wrote:
WCannoy wrote:
Agreed.
Yup.
Ah yup!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Better & easier would be to call Steve Norse and tell him you're only interested in his best and cleanest blanks. Steve's the best thing to happen to North American pipe makers in a long time. :D
+1 for Steve.

Why not use delrin and cut
Your own. That should be possible with what ever you are using for drilling the briar.

Sent from my banana phone.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you're going to cut your own stems with a drill press or similar, you're going to need to make yourself some rigs to hold the stem in place. I messed up lots of stems on the drill press trying to get them to fit properly. But this can also be done if you know what you're doing.

For pipe making, though, a metal lathe is really the core of my shop tooling. And I only have a mini metal lathe. Best $600 I've spent on tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

sandahlpipe wrote:If you're going to cut your own stems with a drill press or similar, you're going to need to make yourself some rigs to hold the stem in place. I messed up lots of stems on the drill press trying to get them to fit properly. But this can also be done if you know what you're doing.

For pipe making, though, a metal lathe is really the core of my shop tooling. And I only have a mini metal lathe. Best $600 I've spent on tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut my tenons by hand on a wood lathe. It just takes a little practice. A metal lathe...or having a lathe at all, is NOT mandatory.

You can hold the rodstock securely and oncenter with a pen makers vise secured to the table. I got mine from Woodcraft for like 30 bucks. You can even use it to hold preforms if you take the time to make sure they are clamped square.

Again, we are right back to what you want out of pipemaking. You don't have to run out and buy thousands of dollars of tools if this is only a hobby. Hell, I consider myself a fulltime pipemaker and I don't hardly have $1000 in tools. You don't have to hand cut your own stems, there's nothing wrong with that.

Do what's right for you and take all this other shit with a grain of salt...including everything I just said.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
RobEsArt

Post by RobEsArt »

+1 for Steve... And he's fast as greased lightning.
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

LatakiaLover wrote: Better & easier would be to call Steve Norse and tell him you're only interested in his best and cleanest blanks. Steve's the best thing to happen to North American pipe makers in a long time. :D

aww, you guys are the best!
I must say, working for all you guys is the best job ever!!
Now if I can just find time to make pipes.....

If anyone who is experimenting with pre-formed stems needs some reject stems for practice, I have a bunch I can give away for free. There is also well over 200 styles of good quality pre-formed stems. Most are Giudici (the better of the modern pre-forms).
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

scotties22 wrote: Again, we are right back to what you want out of pipemaking. You don't have to run out and buy thousands of dollars of tools if this is only a hobby. Hell, I consider myself a fulltime pipemaker and I don't hardly have $1000 in tools. You don't have to hand cut your own stems, there's nothing wrong with that.

Do what's right for you and take all this other shit with a grain of salt...including everything I just said.
Scotties22,
Does that include your lathe? I agree with work with what you got. I'm using a shopsmith. It does alright for me. Maybe when my hands smarten up, I'll consider something else. I had it before I ever fathomed making a pipe? Since my first attempt I'm probably $400 into chuck and jaws. And another$200 in little things and files. I thing I am ready for a pillar file for button work. A little at a time. I try to eliminate my biggest frustrations when thinking about a new tool.
Eric

scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

It sure does include my lathe and my Craftsman 109 metal lathe I am restoring for stemwork. I got the little Rikon wood lathe on sale for $200 a year and a half ago from Highland.

And, by the way, I am 2 years into this deal and am just now setting up a metal lathe and the thing really isn't any bigger than a Taig. I'm sure that will change and one day I'll have a huge metal lathe, but that ain't happening any time soon.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Charl

Post by Charl »

Not just for you guys, Steve is great for us "Africans" as well!
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

Charl wrote:Not just for you guys, Steve is great for us "Africans" as well!
George meant to say, best thing to happen to all earthlings!! :thumbsup:

I'm trying to get products on the moon too, but that will come with time....
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Steve don't do bad for us Brits either.

Might as well continue with the loving theme.

As for tools, bigger, more, better ;)
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

scotties22 wrote:It sure does include my lathe and my Craftsman 109 metal lathe I am restoring for stemwork. I got the little Rikon wood lathe on sale for $200 a year and a half ago from Highland.

And, by the way, I am 2 years into this deal and am just now setting up a metal lathe and the thing really isn't any bigger than a Taig. I'm sure that will change and one day I'll have a huge metal lathe, but that ain't happening any time soon.
Awesome sxottie22, that is inspiring to know. Sometimes I think myself and other noobs think we need thousands invested in tools to be better. But really we need to make more pipes.

Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

Another plug for Steve! Most excellent service, sir! I hope we make things worth your while. We can be a difficult lot to work with. :lol:
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

I used to buy material from 2 or 3 guys. Some have rod stock, but no briar. Some have briar, but no rod stock. Steve has it all. I have no reason to buy anywhere else. On the other subject I have about $1000 in tooling as well. It seems like enough for now. As I sell more pipes I'll buy more tools.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk