facing and drilling rodstock for delrin

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
LittleBill

Re: facing and drilling rodstock for delrin

Post by LittleBill »

It looks to me like there is a visible angle between the delrin and the ebonite. That is enough right there to ruin your day. Once you set up the work, face the rod and drill the hole without moving the rod at all.
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

thats where im running into trouble. once its locked up in the vise, it's never moved until it is done. I'm kind of at a loss this is the one problem i have that i can see a way to fix
LittleBill

Post by LittleBill »

Josh B. wrote:thats where im running into trouble. once its locked up in the vise, it's never moved until it is done. I'm kind of at a loss this is the one problem i have that i can see a way to fix
Is the vise itself moving, or the table? Is it possible that the pressure from your quill is causing the rod to shift? It may LOOK like nothing moved when in fact it only takes a couple of degrees to cause the problem. Been there done that.
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

I think the ebonite might be flexing under the pressure of the bit? Are you drilling the draft hole or mortise first.

Sent from my banana phone.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Stop guessing.

Put a length of drill rod in the chuck, and put a tri-square on the (tightened) table. Check alignment.

Re-position the tri-square 90 degrees and check again.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

i think i found my homemade vise was not stable enough. it vibrates slightly when facing. guess its time to go get a proper 2 way vise
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That will help for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Josh B. wrote:i think i found my homemade vise was not stable enough. it vibrates slightly when facing. guess its time to go get a proper 2 way vise
This thread is starting to make me crazy.

"Vise vibration" would not be the cause of the several-degree angle when drilling and facing shown in the pics. That is an alignment issue. An easily checked one, too.

:banghead:
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Josh B. wrote:i think i found my homemade vise was not stable enough. it vibrates slightly when facing. guess its time to go get a proper 2 way vise
This thread is starting to make me crazy.

"Vise vibration" would not be the cause of the several-degree angle when drilling and facing shown in the pics. That is an alignment issue. An easily checked one, too.

:banghead:
Easy there big feller........nice deep breath :)

George is totally right.

There are a few things that you are doing to make this happen. ALL are user error, not tooling issues. I have a crappy Porter Cable dp from Lowes. The problem you are having I have had with my machine. You need to make sure that your stem blank is in perfect alignment and locked down securely before you face and drill. The other thing you MUST DO is make sure you DO NOT MOVE THE TABLE AT ALL between facing and drilling. Set things up so you have room to change bits without touching the table. Doing it this way is THE ONLY WAY to make sure things stay square.

Quill runout does not matter at all. The worst that can happen there is your hole is going to be a touch bigger and maybe a bit out of round.

If you are putting enough pressure on the table to make it flex bad enough to throw things out of alignment this bad your whole fucking table would be on your feet...period.

Vibration does nothing more than throw the work piece off center. It DOES NOT change the axis your are drilling on.

Good God...................Sometimes you boys WAAAAAAYYYYYYY over think things. Good thing Momma is here to keep you all in line ;)
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Hey come on we all know the reason this is happening. One word...............

Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

[quote="caskwith"]Hey come on we all know the reason this is happening. One word...............

Image[/quote

now it all makes sense
E.L.Cooley

Post by E.L.Cooley »

Good thing we've got scotties22 looking out for us. This quote came across in the same tone Steph uses when she say I look like a man when I can't find my new deodorant. Thanks hope you had a good Memorial Day.

Sent from my banana phone.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

E.L.Cooley wrote:Good thing we've got scotties22 looking out for us.
That might be how YOU see it, but you don't live in the same town she does. (Or have seen the shredded, bloody mess she left in the parking lot of the B&M where the KC club meets... a couple of 350 pound, 6'5" loggers stopped to buy some cigars, got a bit whistle-y and grabby when she walked past their truck, and the county coroner had a helluva mess to clean up.)

If you did, you'da be flat skeered of her, like any right-thinkin' man.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Scottie don't scare me, but then, I got about about a 2,500 km head start if she comes at me too. Makes a difference for sure.

This thread makes me curious. If things are held still, the angles of clamping etc should make no difference - stuff will come out crooked, but the fit will be correct. Even on a totally shitty drill press I could get basically a perfect fit on a stem/shank joint, I'm absolutely confident. So to me there's a method thing here, where something is being done in the wrong order or .... something.

If things are NOT held still, if something is falling over in a vice etc, then that's that.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!