Acrylic Stems

For discussion of fitting and shaping stems, doing inlays, and any other stem-related topic.
socrates

Re: Acrylic Stems

Post by socrates »

LatakiaLover wrote:
pipedreamer wrote:The fool proof way is to place stem in container full of salt at 350 degrees for 10 to 15 min. Stem will get very pliable , have a pipe cleaner already in it. Now with light gloves on bend to where you want it then run cool water over it.You can bend it many ways but this one is the right way,
There are several reasons this is a poor method.

-- If you heat the stem by itself, you'll have to bend it off the bowl, which will result in an approximation as opposed to a "finely tuned" shape. Also, inadvertently touching/moving the tenon will knock it off square enough there will be a light gap later, no matter how much it reverts to straight when the deflection pressure is removed.

-- If you heat the stem and the bowl together, the tenon will not only bend but stretch when the main portion of the stem is bent. Besides producing a light gap after cooling, the tenon will also be loose. (For those of you who say, "But that's how the factories do it, I've seen the videos!", actually no, it isn't. They all used a box or shield apparatus that causes only the stem to heat---the entire pipe doesn't soak in an oven.)

Using a heat gun is considerably safer, much faster, and allows a more finely-tuned bend. The difference is enough that if I were forced for some reason to use the salt & oven soak method, I'd probably quit repair work. Much slower + induced light gaps + approximate bends would make my head explode with rage-y frustration.
I have recently acquired a heat gun just for stem work. I hate using hot water for stems. I reckon I can bake cookies in the oven and use the heat gun for stems. Thanks
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If you are just starting to work with acrylic stems be very sure you are working with CAST acrylic rod and not extruded. Most of the fancy, swirly colored pen blanks that are being utilized for stems are actually polyester (even tho they may be marketed as acrylic) which I would rank somewhere between cast and extruded acrylic.
socrates

Post by socrates »

oklahoma red wrote:If you are just starting to work with acrylic stems be very sure you are working with CAST acrylic rod and not extruded. Most of the fancy, swirly colored pen blanks that are being utilized for stems are actually polyester (even tho they may be marketed as acrylic) which I would rank somewhere between cast and extruded acrylic.
I am getting ready to purchase some acrylic from someone out here. I will ask if it's cast or extruded. Thanks for the info.

My supplier confirms his acrylic is cast and not extruded as the later is too brittle. Promptly ordered several pieces to play with.
Last edited by socrates on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Never had those problems, just lucky.I use a heat gun on other than acrylic stems. Yes it does take time. :D
socrates

Post by socrates »

pipedreamer wrote:Never had those problems, just lucky.I use a heat gun on other than acrylic stems. Yes it does take time. :D
Due to current medical problems my azz is riveted to my chair so time I have LOL.
Charl

Post by Charl »

Maybe I should start baking cookies and leave pipemaking.
Upside is I'll probably make more money.
Downside is I'll have to wait and do nothing while the cookies are in the oven.
:lol: