Bone "burn"???

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
dustinfranc

Bone "burn"???

Post by dustinfranc »

Does anyone know any tricks/techniques for getting a sanding "burn" out of bone? I have a camel bone accent on my stem/stummel transition. It has, what seems to be a burn. Grayish discoloration discoloration im right down to finish sanding, and the stummel is to a point where i cant really take off anymore, or it may affect the proportions (aesthetically) of the piece... ???
Attachments
Its hard to see the discoloration, i know, but hopefully my description gives enough of an idea of whats there.
Its hard to see the discoloration, i know, but hopefully my description gives enough of an idea of whats there.
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
caskwith

Re: Bone "burn"???

Post by caskwith »

Are you sure it's a burn and not just an area of marrow/core?
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

If it doesn't sand out with hand sanding, you're probably just looking at some natural colorations. Sanding with a motor speed too high can burn especially hard objects like bone, but hand sanding should be safe.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
JMG

Post by JMG »

I've never worked with camel bone...any bone really. But I've used antler a lot and it always has some spots like that. If the camel bone works out like the antler the color variation will look excellent once you begin to polish it.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
dustinfranc

Post by dustinfranc »

Thanks for the insights. I got into the scraps/take-offs of the piece i used... and it definitely seems to be part of the bone. I didnt know marrow, etc... looked like that. And after buffing it actually looks good. Character. Thanks.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I bought some 3 camel bones (femur, tibia, and some part of the ankle) while out here in China. The bones I got were fairly "fresh" and took some time cutting open and cleaning out. The bones I have have some reddish swirl parts and the rest is a creamy white color. Was your bone completely white before you started sanding? It might just be a natural color that was already in the bone.

Kiel
dustinfranc

Post by dustinfranc »

It seemed completely white. Kind of cream when cut. But it mustve just been the cut. Because inside were swirls of light gray. Looks amazing polished up.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I have a Ping Zhan pipe that has camel bone for an inlay and it has some interesting colors to it. I think it just adds character.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com