Meerschaum mortise...

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
JMG

Meerschaum mortise...

Post by JMG »

I've had this full-bent meer for quite a few years now. I just may be my favorite pipe. Ended up with it after I bought a big lot of estates to clean up for resale and decided to sell this one. The lattice work is actually carved out behind each hole so that you can even pass a pipe cleaner in one hole and out the other. Anywho, that's not the point of this post...just bragging on my pipe.

Meers are notorious for bad stem shank junctions. Often times to poor screw in joints. This one, however, has a stainless steel tenon on the stem and a delrin lined mortise in the stummel. It works fantastic, has a nice joint, and somehow even on a pipe this bent passes a cleaner without much manipulation at all.

So, this leads to question why more meers don't use this type of tenon/mortise joint? Any ideas?

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
kamkiel

Re: Meerschaum mortise...

Post by kamkiel »

Is it possible that your ss tubing/delrin sleeve was a repair the pipe had before you recieved it?
JMG

Post by JMG »

kamkiel wrote:Is it possible that your ss tubing/delrin sleeve was a repair the pipe had before you recieved it?
Quite possible. If so, I think this is another Goodyear rubber sort of mistake that wound up being a proper fix.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Almost certainly not a repair. A few of the high end Turkish guys have started (finally!) doing it right.

Why don't they all, you a$k? You get three gue$$e$. :wink:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote:Almost certainly not a repair. A few of the high end Turkish guys have started (finally!) doing it right.

Why don't they all, you a$k? You get three gue$$e$. :wink:
So, are you saying this is the right way?

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Pretty much. Be sure to keep the ss tube free of gunk or anything sticky. Low torque stem removal & insertion is what you want.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

There are several ways to get a nice stem fit on a meer, however they are all more work and more expensive than the old ways and also require better tooling than most meer guys are used to using.

Old dogs and new (expensive) tricks etc. :)
JMG

Post by JMG »

caskwith wrote:There are several ways to get a nice stem fit on a meer, however they are all more work and more expensive than the old ways and also require better tooling than most meer guys are used to using.

Old dogs and new (expensive) tricks etc. :)
A stainless steel tenon and delrin sleeved mortise seems pretty simple though and, at least on this one it works really great.

wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Delrin is a relatively new material in the pipe making world. Meerschaum pipe making is based on a long history of traditional methods. Took them a little while to change their methods. The focus of meers has traditionally been about the art in the carvings rather than the quality of the engineering. They relied on the great qualities of the meerschaum material to compensate and to a significant extent it does. Like George says, some are starting to use more updated mortise and tenons.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I agree with George tis the right way, but it costs money To do pipes right!!! (all of them) The pipe world is very hard put to change. I changed often and still continue to change.Many places in the world, like turkey, didn't always have access to the best equipment. I was there 53 yrs. ago, and the few pipe guys I met were doing almost all by hand with simple tools. Access to the merschaum mines were by ladders.The women did a lot of the tedious work, boiling etc.
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

If you ever watched a video of meerschaum carvers fitting a stem you would see its done in about 30 seconds. drill with a hand drill, chase the hole with a tap and sink a threaded tenon into it. no glue, no waiting, no precision. stem just pops into the insert and the shank is shaped to fit the stem. Its really amazing.
Billy Klubb

Post by Billy Klubb »

glad I saw this thread! been holding off on starting my meerschaum on account of fitting a stem. this takes a little weight off my mind.
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?
JMG

Post by JMG »

Billy Klubb wrote:glad I saw this thread! been holding off on starting my meerschaum on account of fitting a stem. this takes a little weight off my mind.
I will gladly accept your completed meerschaum pipe as payment for my contribution to your efforts. You're welcome.

Billy Klubb

Post by Billy Klubb »

JMG wrote:
Billy Klubb wrote:glad I saw this thread! been holding off on starting my meerschaum on account of fitting a stem. this takes a little weight off my mind.
I will gladly accept your completed meerschaum pipe as payment for my contribution to your efforts. You're welcome.
hahaha!! I just hope I don't flerp them up too bad. I'm gonna ruin some more briar and morta before I attempt the meerschaum.
There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?