Meerschaum joints...

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
JMG

Meerschaum joints...

Post by JMG »

I received this in the mail today as a gift from a friend. This is how meers shank/stem joints should be done...not even the slightest light gap.

"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
RickB

Re: Meerschaum joints...

Post by RickB »

That's great. I've all but given up on all my meers but one because of bad or failing stem/shank junctions. The one I still smoke is a special occasions only pipe that was a gift from my dad from his collection. Bummer too because I love how they smoke generally, I just tend to be a little hard on pipes I guess.
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

So is that just a meer cut for a tenon the way a briar stummel would be? ie is that a sleeve in the mortise or is it just drilled meershaum?
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
JMG

Post by JMG »

Sasquatch wrote:So is that just a meer cut for a tenon the way a briar stummel would be? ie is that a sleeve in the mortise or is it just drilled meershaum?
It's definitely a sleeve...I believe it's delrin. I think the meer would be too weak without a sleeve to support a normal tenon.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad