USA Domestic Hardwoods?

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
Literaryworkshop

USA Domestic Hardwoods?

Post by Literaryworkshop »

What are some domestic hardwoods suitable for pipe making? I'm aware that briar is ideal, but as I practice making pipes, I'd like to use woods that will still smoke okay. I don't have an easy source for exotics, but I do often pick up domestic hardwoods, usually in log form, which I mill and dry myself.

I've heard that cherry and other fruit woods work well. What about walnut? Osage orange (bodark or bois d'arc)? Live oak? Holly? I'm just listing off random trees that live around my neighborhood here.

What about woods that have a distinct aroma when burned, such as hickory or mesquite? I'm guessing those would mess with the smoke flavor, but I don't know.
- Steve S.
wisemanpipes

Re: USA Domestic Hardwoods?

Post by wisemanpipes »

most if not all fruit trees, yes to walnut, ys to orange osage, never tried oak, but id say no to holly, it seems pretty porous, but then again ive only made a shank extension out of it. apple/pear is a real cool wood to work and if you can get it, peach
wmolaw

Post by wmolaw »

As noted, pretty much all fruit trees.

I have also seen pipes made of Hickory and mesquite and folks said they were good smokers, without taste. Never tried them myself.

Olive wood is great, cherry is really good an inexpensive.
Literaryworkshop

Well, shoot, I have a bunch of pecan lying around, and some of it has some really nice spalting. I hadn't thought of using it because, like its cousin hickory, it's aromatic when burned, so I figured it would be unsuitable for a pipe. It's harder than most briar, but I'm used to working with it. Now I might give it a try.
- Steve S.
McKay

Post by McKay »

Anyone messed with any really dense woods, like dogwood? I'd like to try drilling and shaping, and all I have at the moment is dogwood and pecan.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

McKay wrote:Anyone messed with any really dense woods, like dogwood? I'd like to try drilling and shaping, and all I have at the moment is dogwood and pecan.

We lost a dogwood over the winter. My husband cut it down and got rid of it before I could tell him to set aside the trunk for me. It was about 4" in diameter and would have been good to use for something. Oh, well.

My grandpa used to make stuff out of dogwood all the time...he is a whittler. He never had any problems with it. I think he made wooden chains out of it more than anything. Pretty impressive, really. I'll see if I can't find a picture of one.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
McKay

Post by McKay »

I did whittle a decent serving spoon out of a pretty ugly bug-eaten piece of the dogwood. I just cut it oversize and worked around the holes. If I find out where my wife put it, I'll post a picture of that.
Alan L
Site Supporter

Post by Alan L »

McKay wrote:Anyone messed with any really dense woods, like dogwood? I'd like to try drilling and shaping, and all I have at the moment is dogwood and pecan.
My brother once made a dogwood pipe. Had kind of a floral taste to it until it had a good layer of cake built up, but it won't burn out.
McKay

Post by McKay »

Alan L wrote:
My brother once made a dogwood pipe. Had kind of a floral taste to it until it had a good layer of cake built up, but it won't burn out.
That is THE best news I have heard. I assume the wood that he used was well-seasoned too. Thank you for the anecdote.
Literaryworkshop

Dogwood is tough stuff. Once upon a time, it was the wood of choice for turned carving mallets. Some pieces have beautiful color variations in the grain, so if you get a good piece (without bug holes), a pipe made from it would look beautiful, if nothing else.
- Steve S.
thuls80

Post by thuls80 »

So pecan should make a good pipe?
Nate

Post by Nate »

PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

I am gonna stick with briar...
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
andrew

Post by andrew »

PremalChheda wrote:
I am gonna stick with briar...
Is that what we're supposed to be using!? My customers are gonna be pissed!

andrew