My First pipe

Interested in making clay pipes, meerschaums, olive woods, or some other exotic material? Talk about it here.
callous49

My First pipe

Post by callous49 »

Ok, I’m a complete newbie to the forum and to pipe making.
A little about me, I retired about a year ago form years of working the Alaska and Russian oil and gas fields.
I was recently doing some trimming on my cherry trees and found a branch I thought I would transform into a tobacco smoking pipe. Keep in mind this is my first attempt to make a pipe in several decades. I once made with the help of my grandfather a Corncob pipe that smoked very well.
Anyway my next try is going to be out of a fresh cut cherry branch pictured below. I have a couple of questions to bounce off of you guys.
1. How long should I let the branch cure before cutting into it any further?
2. Should I peal the bark? I kind of like bark on it but I’m afraid the heat from smoking it would cause it to separate.
3. I have not decided on a stem length yet. I’m not sure I’m skilled enough to try and drill out the entire length as it has a curve in it.
4. The bowl part is only 1” of wood so it will probably be a small diameter and I’m not sure how deep to make it.

Next time I will make the pictures smaller
Attachments
New Pipe 1.jpg
(254.61 KiB) Downloaded 1341 times
New Pipe.jpg
(175.66 KiB) Downloaded 1341 times
Callous: adj. Gifted with great fortitude to bear the evils afflicting another. Ambrose Brice
callous49

Re: My First pipe

Post by callous49 »

I may have put this in the wrong section. :doh:
Callous: adj. Gifted with great fortitude to bear the evils afflicting another. Ambrose Brice
deBeaupre

Post by deBeaupre »

I would try crafting a pipe out of briar for your next attempt. And when your finished show the recommended angles of the pipe for a proper critique. I do appreciate "objet trouvé".

See for future reference:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8876

Cheers and welcome to the forum,

Matt
callous49

Post by callous49 »

I know that briar is a preferred wood with most but right now I'm working with what I have on hand. I do have some Apple, Cherry and White Oak cut that are suitable size for making blocks out of. I have plenty of power tools to assist in shaping including a cabinet sized sandblaster when that need may arise.

Maybe I have watched too many Hobbit shows, it sounded like a fun project. I'll take your challenge and record my progress and keep it posted. It should be somewhat amusing to say the least. :D
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

The good news is that cherry will smoke okay. It won't be as nice as briar, but it will work.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but here's some of what you're up against. The bark will come off eventually as the wood dries and shrinks. The branch itself will want to split lengthwise as it dries, and because of the way wood shrinks as it dries, there's not a lot you can do to prevent that. If I were trying this, I'd go ahead and work the wood green and hope for the best.
- Steve S.
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

The Hobbit movies are great. The pipes in the Hobbit movies are abysmal. Remember that.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
callous49

Post by callous49 »

Literaryworkshop wrote:The good news is that cherry will smoke okay. It won't be as nice as briar, but it will work.

I don't know the answer to your questions, but here's some of what you're up against. The bark will come off eventually as the wood dries and shrinks. The branch itself will want to split lengthwise as it dries, and because of the way wood shrinks as it dries, there's not a lot you can do to prevent that. If I were trying this, I'd go ahead and work the wood green and hope for the best.
I’ve heard that Cherry makes a nice pipe. This being my first project I thought I would go for something out of the box. I know the angle of the stem shank is off compared to traditional design but this pipe is for me. I figure the only way to learn is to make and learn from any mistakes I make now but I'm open to suggestions, that why I joined this forum
Thanks for the input, tomorrow I’m setting up my shop and now I hope to get the bowl drilled. Can't wait to get started. :thumbsup:
callous49

Post by callous49 »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:The Hobbit movies are great. The pipes in the Hobbit movies are abysmal. Remember that.
I know Treebeard and the Ents didn't smoke but if they did, what I’m making is what I have pictured they would have.
Eldgrímr

Post by Eldgrímr »

callous49 wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:The Hobbit movies are great. The pipes in the Hobbit movies are abysmal. Remember that.
I know Treebeard and the Ents didn't smoke but if they did, what I’m making is what I have pictured they would have.

Looking forward to seeing your progress with this! As a newb myself!
jkcpalmer

Post by jkcpalmer »

Very interesting concept would like to see a followup on this..

It will be difficult to keep it from checking as it drys though.
J. Palmer - DFW, TX - Remember professionals built the Titanic and amateurs build the Ark.
Connlaus

Post by Connlaus »

A little late but here are few curing tips. You can work it green and cure it later in which case take the bark off.
If your going to cure it first leave the bark on and paint all the cut ends with latex paint. This will help the wood dry more naturally and help prevent splitting. Kevin.
Kevin Nicholas Roe
http://www.knrfreehand.com