Pipes for the ladies: design ideas?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
badger685

Pipes for the ladies: design ideas?

Post by badger685 »

I have heard chatter in other arenas and at my college there is an increasing interest of pipesmoking among ladies just as cigars. I know there are a many historical female figures who have enjoyed the pipe. My question is what does a feminine pipe look like (and I don't mean pink or jewel encrusted)? I first thought "Ah ha, churchwarden" but so many men have them so that can't be it. Is there a good source to find femme pipes? All you Big Boys, have you ever done a commission for a lady smoker and what did it look like? My struggle is this: is the femininity in the stemwork or the stummel, or both? Is it a small chamber, a long slender shank, or in the stummel material? I thought about meer but I know how heat-conductive it is compared to briar. Any thoughts, ideas, and images would be appreciated.
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
scotties22

Re: Pipes for the ladies: design ideas?

Post by scotties22 »

Well, you're in luck....I'm a girl. Think of the most sexy sports car you can. Got it? Now, think about what makes it sexy...smooth lines, stylish and eye catching. Really all the same things that make it appealing to you make it appealing to me. I really think the same thing applies to pipes. Just becuase a woman is smoking doesn't mean that you should go about making it any other way than you would for a man....unless you have a specific customer that is asking for that. If that were the case we would have his and hers cigars too :lol:

I would say something that flows smoothly from bit to bowl and nothing overtly large (we do tend to have smaller hands than men afterall). Oklahoma Red turned me on to this website a while back. http://www.vava-pipe.com/
Most of Carsten's pipes are quite elegant and really do appeal to me personally.

But, I think overall just don't over think it. Just becuase we are girls doesn't mean that we don't find the same asthetics in our smoking gear pleasing.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
DMI

Post by DMI »

Most of the female pipemokers I have come across smoke bog standard pipes, I have two who are customers one prefers classic billiards (group 4) and another is into freehands of all shapes and sizes.

What you will find is that there was an advertising campaign in the fifties and sixties which aimed to sell smaller pipes for ladies, often with pastel paint finishes. In Europe this was lead by Butz Choquin, Vauen and Lorenzo in the USA I think IRC marketed them.

David
the rev

Post by the rev »

bwahahahahaha, scottie talking for ladies, now I heard everything

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

I would say something that flows smoothly from bit to bowl and nothing overtly large (we do tend to have smaller hands than men after all). Oklahoma Red turned me on to this website a while back. http://www.vava-pipe.com/
This is one Carsten made for his wife a few months back. Dainty and pink to boot.
Costner should have used this to show his feminine side, the Devilish Anse! :lol:

Chas.

the rev

Post by the rev »

if I made my wife, or probably scottie a pink pipe... I think I would wind up smoking it out of my arse

rev
"but rev, isn't smoking a sin?"

well I suppose if one were to smoke to excess it would be a sin

"but what would be smoking to excess?"

Why smoking two pipes at once of course
badger685

Post by badger685 »

scotties22 wrote:Really all the same things that make it appealing to you make it appealing to me. I really think the same thing applies to pipes. Just becuase a woman is smoking doesn't mean that you should go about making it any other way than you would for a man....unless you have a specific customer that is asking for that. If that were the case we would have his and hers cigars too :lol:
Hey Scottie, I never ever thought of it like that. Also, very cool yer a lady pipe smoker! :rockon:

oklahoma red wrote:This is one Carsten made for his wife a few months back. Dainty and pink to boot.
I don't care what anybody says I would smoke that myself (coming from the guy who has owned a pink
and purple suede pair of creepers). :drool:
El Badger

"Pipe-smokers spend so much time cleaning, filling and fooling with their pipes, they don't have time to get into mischief." - Bill Vaughan
kkendall

Post by kkendall »

My wife has made a couple pipes. A guy would have to surrender his man card if he was caught smoking a couple of her pipes ...

The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

Well, believe it or not, my lady friend is rather fond of gnarled rustications.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Kim,
Tell your wife that is a very very nice pipe. I tried making a few pipes like this and don't have the knack for it. I don't have the vision to finish....I get halfway through and get hung up and forget what I was gonna do....kinda like Stephen King and his spider at the end of "It".

Chas,
I was looking for that picture to post and couldn't find it. That is by far one of my favorite pipes of Carsten's.

Badger,
I don't smoke a lot (and not any right now). I got into carving becuase my husband took up pipe smoking and I got hooked. He is my resident shape tweaker and idea killer (good to have someone to keep my feet on the ground). He also keeps me honest about my abilities and what I need to improve on.

And last....Rev,
Don't tell anyone but I do have 1 pink and 1 purple t-shirt that make an appearance every once in a while :lol: . Other than that they aren't my two favorite colors. A pink pipe is something I would never smoke, personally. But Carsten's is stunning and would make me reconcider if you wanted to send me one just like it as a gift :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Scottie what the hell are you doing replying in a thread about ladies?

It would be ironic if it weren't so sad. Nobody asked what a dirty toothless inbred hillbilly illiterate dirtbag Okie might think about pipe design.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

First, Sir, let me point out that I do ideed have all my teef!!!!!! And I ain't no Okie either....I'm from Missoura ....they a difference, didn't enybody ever tell ya' that??

And you're right, I sure as hell ain't no lady. I can, however, push my mind in that direction when pushed :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Touché: I take it back. We'll leave it at illiterate dirtbag.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

DAMNIT!!!!!!! I knew I was forgetting to address something in your smarmy little comment. I can mostly read....but I do really need a shower.....We'll just leave it at dirtbag.
www.ladybriar.com
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

I loves me a girl who can mostly read and needs a shower. :D
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

not my taste, but this is what I made for a lady once, she picked the shape and colors
it was my 22nd pipe from years ago

taharris

Post by taharris »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:Well, believe it or not, my lady friend is rather fond of gnarled rustications.
Umm... we're talking about pipes here. :shock:
The Smoking Yeti

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

taharris wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:Well, believe it or not, my lady friend is rather fond of gnarled rustications.
Umm... we're talking about pipes here. :shock:
Oops, thanks for the memo, I was bout to post pictures and everything! :oops:
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
badger685

Post by badger685 »

Vermont Freehand wrote:not my taste, but this is what I made for a lady once, she picked the shape and colors
it was my 22nd pipe from years ago
That is one sick instrument. Kinda inspires me to throw on some metalflake and pinstriping on my next piece...or maybe not. But that is magnificent. I love the combo of purple and pearl.
El Badger

HumblePipe

Post by HumblePipe »

I recently made this pipe for a customers wife. They wanted something curvy and feminine. They were extremely happy with the results and it was fun to make.