Allow myself to introduce....myself

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
impish1

Allow myself to introduce....myself

Post by impish1 »

Hello all. I'd like to take a second to introduce myself. I am but a wee grasshopper in the land o pipes. But in the last few months I have learned more about the art of pipe making and tobacco than I could imagine...and I haven't even scratched the surface. So here I am, to learn and have a great time doing it.

My experience in "making" has been uh, teeth. I have been a dental lab technician for twenty years. So I'm hoping my pipes don't look like teeth. But wouldn't it be cool if your stem matched your bite exactly? Ooh that might be cool.

Anyway, here I am. Oh yeah, my favorite place to smoke a pipe is by a trout stream with a fly rod in my hand.

Cheers.
Tyler
Site Supporter

Re: Allow myself to introduce....myself

Post by Tyler »

Welcome!
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

Welcome aboard, now make some pipes!
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

impish1 wrote:
My experience in "making" has been uh, teeth. I have been a dental lab technician for twenty years.
That's an excellent base to work from, actually. Every pipe maker I know with a history of fine handwork has been able to leapfrog over much of the hand/eye & tool usage part of the equation. One made custom electric guitar bridges, for example, and another made exotic internal parts for race cars. Others I know started with jewelry-making, high end fountain pens, museum-grade models, and watch-making.

Enjoy your journey. Quite literally EVERYTHING you need to know to make good pipes can be found on this site + a few (selected) YouTube videos for some of the hard to visualize stuff.

My only caution is to read the Gallery expectations/guidelines before subbing stuff there, and avoid pissing off a seven foot tall, 600 pound regular contributor named Sasquatch. Because he's a REAL Sasquatch and is tired of children pointing and giggling when he leaves his cave buy groceries & etc. It has made him irritable and sensitive.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
N.Burnsworth

Post by N.Burnsworth »

Welcome!
Nicholas Burnsworth
Boulder & Briar
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"I'm... Richie Cunningham and this is my... wife. Oprah." :lol:

When I saw that movie in a theater, it was a friendly date with a very nice girl whom I had known a long time. I just about pissed my pants a number times, I was howling with laughter, literally crying, and she found it... mildly amusing I guess. I knew we were doomed.

Anyhow, welcome to pipe making. Feel free to let it rule your thoughts, steal your time, wreck your marriage etc, just like it's done for many of the rest of us. We'll answer any questions you have with snarky references to search functions which don't work, lots of inside jokes and ostensible abuse. For all that, I know who Number Two works for.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Welcome. I just smashed my camera against the wall and set fire to 3 pipes with a gallon of gas since the price has gone down!Read the forum, make lots of pipes and never Quit!!!!!! Good Luck!!
impish1

Post by impish1 »

[quote="Sasquatch"]"I'm... Richie Cunningham and this is my... wife. Oprah." :lol:

Well I'm sure glad to see there are other people in this world who understand classy, highbrow humor like Austin Powers, baby! yeah!

I'm certain my focus has already shifted to walk that razor thin line between neglecting my family and allowing myself a little me time in the pipe shop. As if I needed another hobby. I blame @seamonster. He's the one who introduced me to all this. Before he corrupted me, I had never even heard the words, latakia or perique. Sigh...what a great friend.
Joe T

Post by Joe T »

impish1 wrote:...But wouldn't it be cool if your stem matched your bite exactly?...
Brilliant! Would that be an Orthidontic stem? What a nitch! :thumbsup:
Joe Thieman
Nate

Post by Nate »

Tyler wrote:Welcome!