Fake blast and it's limits....

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
archaggelosmichail

Fake blast and it's limits....

Post by archaggelosmichail »

I found out that some co-makers do great job with faux blasting. I really admire their skill and patience, and the result is more than great, it takes rustication to another level.

The last few weeks though, I saw a guy that uses a sandbaster to track briar's ring grain, then deep rusticates and sell his pipes as "deep blasted" while it's obvious especially in some pipes the total absence of birdseye and akward fusion of the "ring grain" on top and bottom.

BE HONEST GUYS, no need for tricks and lies.....
Last edited by archaggelosmichail on Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Smoking Yeti

Re: Fake blast and it's limits....

Post by The Smoking Yeti »

I have seen this as well. It took me a minute to realize what it is. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it, I don't think it's okay to lie about what you're doing.
My pipemaking stream of conscience/ website:

http://yetipipe.tumblr.com/
finster

Post by finster »

That's just it- it's lying. And why? More skilled a sandblast? Seems like just as much skill with rustication, why not admit both? A true collector will spot it anyway...
andrew

Post by andrew »

If you're lying and stating its only blasting... that's lying, but not disclosing all of the surface treatments... that's just murky, which is fine ;)

Calling something a deep blast when it's really a combination of blasting and dremel work is a bit of a stretch.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The question boils down to "How small does a sandblasting nozzle have to be before it's considered a rustication tool?"

If a stummel is "overall blasted" after first being rusticated with either a fine blasting tip or a rotary cutter, I don't see how it matters which of the two was used.

It's been done for a long time, in any event. I know for a fact at least 30 years, and doubt it was new even then.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
The Smoking Yeti

I know how to make a seamless fake plateaux texture. Since I can do that, is it right that I add in plateaux to pipes? Does that lessen the achievement for other guys who work really hard to develop the skills to shape with the plateaux? Example being Tonni's Stallion shape.

mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I think that if you create something aesthetically pleasing, somebody will buy it. Does it matter how it was achieved? To some people it sure will. And there will be those who could care less. Am I required to advertise that I use delrin tenons vs. integreal tenons because it's way easier to achieve consistent and reliable results that way? I don't think so. If someone asks, will I tell them? Absolutely. I will own anything that I do in my shop. Always have, and people still buy my pipes after 4 yrs of doing this. This may not be on the same level as the label you put on the blast/finish of a high grade pipe, but you get the idea.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote:I know how to make a seamless fake plateaux texture. Since I can do that, is it right that I add in plateaux to pipes? Does that lessen the achievement for other guys who work really hard to develop the skills to shape with the plateaux? Example being Tonni's Stallion shape.
You're over-thinking it, imo. If your result is truly, honestly, and no-kidding 100% indistinguishable from natural plateaux, that's a high level skill in its own right. Probably as difficult to master as the shape-to-fit exercise. There's no need to think of it as intrinsically inferior, just a different route to the same aesthetic destination.

Purity for its own sake is common in many artistic fields. It's an emotional thing, not (necessarily) a rational one.
archaggelosmichail

Post by archaggelosmichail »

Well I didn't say that is not aesthetically pleasing, all I'm saying that either you can make a faux plateaux, a deep sandblast or whatever else to imitate something else just state it. It does matter how it is achieved....
Even if we consinder a fine and small blasting tip a rustication tool, it still requires far more knowledge, machinery and experimentation to achieve it than a rotary tool on a dremel.

Deep blast is great cause it take advantage of the briar natural ring grain AND birdseye...that's why is more lustful from the collectors.
We have seen makers like Cooke, Senatorov ect building their career on this finish.
So having some makers that state that their semi-blasting is a "five stage blast process" is a little irritating...
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

LatakiaLover wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote:I know how to make a seamless fake plateaux texture. Since I can do that, is it right that I add in plateaux to pipes? Does that lessen the achievement for other guys who work really hard to develop the skills to shape with the plateaux? Example being Tonni's Stallion shape.
You're over-thinking it, imo. If your result is truly, honestly, and no-kidding 100% indistinguishable from natural plateaux, that's a high level skill in its own right. Probably as difficult to master as the shape-to-fit exercise. There's no need to think of it as intrinsically inferior, just a different route to the same aesthetic destination.

Purity for its own sake is common in many artistic fields. It's an emotional thing, not (necessarily) a rational one.
I agree. If a guy mimics a sandblast with a 20 hour carving technique, he's a tremendously skilled forger and deserves some credit for that!
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
The Smoking Yeti

I dont have a problem with faux sandblasts if people advertise them as such. Tommi is perfectly honest about how he does it, as such I find it amazing and respect it. I just think there's an integrity issue when people lie about what something is. Maybe I'm over-thinking it, I don't know.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

The Smoking Yeti wrote: I just think there's an integrity issue when people lie about what something is.
I definitely agree with that particular. Knowingly misrepresenting something is indeed lying, whether for marketing or any other purpose. I got caught up (as usual) in the technical aspect and missed the whole integrity thing. Sorry.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it, I don't know.
Not that part. Good on you, in fact.

(Your PM about whether or not you should wear your black shoes or your brown ones to your high school prom next week, definitely yes. Just relax and show the girl a good time, OK? We all know first-ever dates are kinda traumatic)
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

LatakiaLover wrote:
The Smoking Yeti wrote: Maybe I'm over-thinking it, I don't know.
Not that part. Good on you, in fact.

(Your PM about whether or not you should wear your black shoes or your brown ones to your high school prom next week, definitely yes. Just relax and show the girl a good time, OK? We all know first-ever dates are kinda traumatic)
That there is funny.
The Smoking Yeti

LatakiaLover wrote: (Your PM about whether or not you should wear your black shoes or your brown ones to your high school prom next week, definitely yes. Just relax and show the girl a good time, OK? We all know first-ever dates are kinda traumatic)
Thanks Uncle George!

I know you aren't long for the world, so I try to make time for your advice in my life. It has really helped me a lot, and I just want you to know I'll miss it when you're gone! :(

andrew

Post by andrew »

Another funny :)
Thomas Tkach

Post by Thomas Tkach »

Definitely black shoes.
On land, at sea, at home, abroad,
I smoke my pipe and worship God.

http://tatmakesthings.blogspot.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1?feature=mhee
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I agree with Latakia Lover,
If they were to ask, I'd tell them the truth, But they are not privy to what happens in my shop!!! :whisper: