Just wondering...

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
finster

Just wondering...

Post by finster »

So I'm not looking to call anyone out, there are no implications here, but I'm curious. How many forum members are not selling their pipes. I mean, choose not to sell them, not that can't seem to sell them. :roll: Are thre many of us? Again, not judging anything here, more like taking a census.
sandahlpipe

Re: Just wondering...

Post by sandahlpipe »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I still have pipes that I don't sell (and not just because my shop isn't completed yet). I usually take a few hours to a day after I complete a pipe and evaluate it. I've decided on more than one occasion not to sell the pipe because something didn't turn out just right. Until my skills with my hands are on par with my eyes, I don't expect this to change. Now if you're asking how many members aren't selling any of their pipes, that wouldn't be me.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
finster

Post by finster »

Thank you sir, I wish there was more quality control around that approached yours with your work, the world would be a better place. But yes, I did mean not any.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

I've been making pipes for about a year and a half now. . I'm finally starting to make pipes I would feel comfortable selling, and am taking steps toward doing so. I still make plenty of mistakes and, like Sandahl, not every pipe I make is worthy of leaving the shop.

Lesson I learned through years of photography is to take tons of pictures (make lots of pipes), but pay attention to each one as though it was the best work you've ever done. Then only show people the ones that turn out really good. The more you do this the more practice you get. You figure out what worked and what didn't, do more of what worked and less of what didn't. Identify in your own work stylistic trends/compositional styles/subject matter your eye trends to be drawn to and start deliberately incorporating those ideas into your work. Eventually you start feeling your own style and your ratio of hits to misses improves. This is how learning photography was for me, and pipe making appears to be headed down a very similar path.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by kamkiel »

I have been makng pipes on and off for around two years, and haven't sold any of them. I have had quite a few people wanting to buy, but I politely refuse. The reasons I don't sell are simple: I don't have as much time as I would like to make pipes, because of time limitations I wouldn't be able provide an ideal customer service (making repairs if something goes wrong), making pipes is a pleasurable hobby that that I am not ready to allow "customers" inferfere with, and overall selling is just not a road I am really wanting to start travelling at this point. Selling feels like a commitment I'm not ready for.

Kiel
finster

Post by finster »

Thanks guys. Guess there's not many of us after all.
Josh B.

Post by Josh B. »

Iv been at it for about a year and a half. I just recently started making most of my income from pipes but there are still plenty of pipes at stay home with me
Mark B.

Post by Mark B. »

I've never sold a pipe. I either keep them and smoke them or give them as gifts to friends. I make pipes because I find it enjoyable. If it turns into a monetary enterprise some day that's fine, but I'm not in any hurry.