New Pipe Maker wants critique

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Rodneywt1180b

Re: New Pipe Maker wants critique

Post by Rodneywt1180b »

I've made a couple pipes out of non-briar woods. There are good reasons why briar is king and it's not just because it's pretty. One of them is the tars in the tobacco will soak through woods like cherry creating dark stains on the outer surface. Another is briar holds up to heat better than other woods and it holds the heat in better. If you hold your pipes by the stem it may not be an issue but those thin walls are going to get unpleasantly hot IMO. You can make a thin walled briar pipe with some expectation it will be ok but other woods should be thicker in general.
I've only made one pipe with a wooden stem. That was enough. Like briar, there's good reasons why people prefer vulcanite and acrylic for their stems. Comfort and durability are two of the biggest.

On the plus side, they're a nice graceful shape and they look good. I think you have something you can work with. Briar is a nice wood to work with and you don't need premium blocks for that shape. You might consider ordering a couple small blocks just to try out for the bowl portion of your pipes.
Rodney
Leus

Post by Leus »

Please do yourself a favor and try making a traditional pipe. Your pipes are quite good for a beginner, but alternative materials and finishes will get you nowhere (been there.)
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Use the Citracel, less gas and more Sh.. lowers cholesterol also and raises tolerance for Bullshit!!!!!!! :D