fun with activated charcoal

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mightysmurf8201

fun with activated charcoal

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

So when I started making pipes a few years ago, I bought a bottle of activated charcoal pills for my bowl coatings, because that's what was most readily available. I'm at the bottom of the bottle now, and decided that breaking open the capsules one at a time was too tedious so I ordered a half a pound of fine powder to make things easier, or so I thought. Anyone who's dealt with it in larger quantities knows that it can be messy stuff. I was not aware of how messy things could get, so when it arrived today, I pulled the vacuum sealed pack out of the box, and cut across the top of it. I began pouring it into a quart sized mason jar for easy access. When it neared the top, I stopped pouring and stuck my fingers into it to pack it down some, except it didn't pack down. It became displaced and poured over the rim onto the table clothe (the good table clothe) of the dining room table (the good table). After a furious battle, I was able to get most of it into the jar. Time to clean up. I brushed most of it onto a sheet of paper, and armed with damp paper towels, I tried to dab up the rest. I found that my approach was counterproductive, and that's about the time my wife walked in. No words were necessary. We stared at each other in silence for what seemed like an eternity, but I picked up what she was putting down. I picked up the napkins and my jar of charcoal and walked away with what little dignity I had left.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
LatakiaLover

Re: fun with activated charcoal

Post by LatakiaLover »

A beautiful, though tearful, story.

You are indeed a glorious warrior on the pipe making battleground, soon-to-be-ungimpy-Smurf.

:notworthy:
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

"Why are there pipes in my toaster oven?"

This was said with calm, in a deliberate and measured voice. The explanation was also calm and deliberate, even though I thought it quite obvious (oil curing, duh!).

"Well the whole goddam house stinks, so way to go."
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

My dear sweet boy.....what the hell where you doing at the dining room table?? :ROFL:
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

That stuff is very messy when an uncooperatve overdose patient is getting it forced down his gullet.
I generally found an excuse to leave the area and allow the nurse and tech to handle the job. :D
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

DocAitch wrote:That stuff is very messy when an uncooperatve overdose patient is getting it forced down his gullet.
I generally found an excuse to leave the area and allow the nurse and tech to handle the job. :D
DocAitch
After the uncooperative o.d. patient eats their fill they generally look like zombie too.

And to smurf, nicely done. Your poor wife. How many boys in your house?

Kiel
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Protip:

Buy the granulated stuff, and make your own powder in small batches using a spice mill & superfine strainer. (A quarter cup lasts a long time.)

8)
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I bought 2 kg's (about 5.5lbs of the stuff) a while back because that was the only quantity I could find. It's still in the bag it came in, but that bag is in a large metal cookie box safely in a cupboard.

Whenever I need it, I just grab the box and take a coffespoon full of charcoal which I transfer into a glass jar for use :-)

God, I hope I never drop that box... I think we'll have to move if I ever do.
mightysmurf8201

scotties22 wrote:My dear sweet boy.....what the hell where you doing at the dining room table?? :ROFL:
Just seemed like the best spot at the time :mrgreen:
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
mightysmurf8201

kamkiel wrote: After the uncooperative o.d. patient eats their fill they generally look like zombie too.

And to smurf, nicely done. Your poor wife. How many boys in your house?

Kiel
5 boys under the age of 9. Then there's me :)
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

This story made my day. Way to go Manny!

I've had similar experiences when I didn't have a workshop. The wife would get home and I'd be sitting in the kitchen surrounded by piles of briar dust with a file and a hunk of briar in my hands. Not much was said, but I think the message was clear. :thumbsup:
mji.ipour

Post by mji.ipour »

Would you tell me how you prepare activated charcoal for coating?
I mean do you mix the charcoal with some things or use pour?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk
Massis

Post by Massis »

mji.ipour wrote:Would you tell me how you prepare activated charcoal for coating?

You can't use it pure as it's a powder. Most mix it with waterglass.
mji.ipour

Post by mji.ipour »

mightysmurf8201 wrote:So when I started making pipes a few years ago, I bought a bottle of activated charcoal pills for my bowl coatings, because that's what was most readily available. I'm at the bottom of the bottle now, and decided that breaking open the capsules one at a time was too tedious so I ordered a half a pound of fine powder to make things easier, or so I thought. Anyone who's dealt with it in larger quantities knows that it can be messy stuff. I was not aware of how messy things could get, so when it arrived today, I pulled the vacuum sealed pack out of the box, and cut across the top of it. I began pouring it into a quart sized mason jar for easy access. When it neared the top, I stopped pouring and stuck my fingers into it to pack it down some, except it didn't pack down. It became displaced and poured over the rim onto the table clothe (the good table clothe) of the dining room table (the good table). After a furious battle, I was able to get most of it into the jar. Time to clean up. I brushed most of it onto a sheet of paper, and armed with damp paper towels, I tried to dab up the rest. I found that my approach was counterproductive, and that's about the time my wife walked in. No words were necessary. We stared at each other in silence for what seemed like an eternity, but I picked up what she was putting down. I picked up the napkins and my jar of charcoal and walked away with what little dignity I had left.
Would you tell me how you prepare activated charcoal for coating?

pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

I pulled a doozy! I got a cheap coffee grinder at the store, came home loaded it up with aquarium charcoal and let it rip. I got it cheap due to the top being cracked . I usually do everything in the shop, not today, In the kitchen, Her New cabinets, floor, wall, you get the picture. Looked at the clock and thought " I got two hours before She comes home". That is the most cleaning I have ever done! I made it with fifteen minutes to spare. I'll Never take work into the house again, well maybe just to dry some wood in the oven.
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: