Interesting editorial by Mike Glukler

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Sasquatch

Re: Interesting editorial by Mike Glukler

Post by Sasquatch »

My issue wasn't the list, or who's on it, or whether the definitions are good.

I took umbridge with the notion that somehow being "just a pipe carver" is not good enough. That it's "settling".

There is no moral imperative at work here.

In fact, I'll go farther and say that people are lined up out the fucking door for my pipes, and while this doesn't make me a Master or Elite, it makes me happy.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

But again this is just me being cranky - the main thrust of the article is that some good will come if you push the envelope for yourself, and that's undoubtedly true.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Hello Premal;

Yes, we both see different things offered by various carvers. As we should, we both have different eyes.

I did not make my "choices" by looking at the carvers galleries. Neither Larry nor Will offer a complete showing. The very first pipes that Will made were very Danish. A few looked as if they could have been made at the Larsen Factory under Former. Shape and finish color. Granted what Will shows now is more "focused".

The same holds true for Larry. Some of his "not shown" pipes I have seen ( other than the rusticated finish ) were clearly Danish in inspriation. Again Larry has become more "focused".

As I look at some of the carvers from Germany, Japan, China, and Russia / Eastern Europe, I guess I see lots I have seen before, BUT with some "twists".

I look at some Wallenstein's and from my eyes I see Tao after a night with Timothy Leary. ;) As with the new " schools" they have been influenced by what came before them. Some have pushed it to new heights. Some I find very interesting. Some leave me ice cold, but that is personal taste, and says nothing about the style or quality. Even the shapes I have seen I do not like, have been made with exacting attention to fit, finish, detail, and most importantly smokeability.

We all see things differently. If we did not, everyone would make, buy, collect the same shapes.

I apologize to all the carvers in this forum for entering your domain uninvited. I also Thank You for offering your thoughts and polite responses.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Hello Sas

I am happy that you have so many interested clients. Make hay while the sun shines.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
sethile

Post by sethile »

This has turned into a fantastic thread! Very thought provoking.

I enjoyed reading your original article, Michael, and just enjoyed re-reading it. I think you take some pains to represent it as your opinion. I think your opinion is more than a little interesting. I'm very glad you jumped in here on the forum too! Premal has contributed a great deal to the discussion here too. Both of you are in unique positions to have seen a lot of high grade pipes first hand and also deal with a lot of high grade collectors.

I think it get's dicey in a hurry when people start making lists. It's so easy to for these to be taken the wrong way... But a few names came up that have certainly had a huge influence on me, some more directly than others. Adam Davidson was mentioned by both Michael and Premal in different contexts. Adam has had a huge influence on my work, although I'm still applying it, and likely will be for a long time. Like both Premal and Michael, Adam has been in the position of seeing and handling a whole lot of pipes. He relentlessly pursues perfection in his own work, and has been very helpful to me in identifying ways to make my pipes better.

The cool thing about the World of pipes is there is a lot of room to find what makes us happy as smokers, collectors, and pipe makers. And it's great that many of us have found some way to contribute to our livelihoods while pursuing our own unique interests and strengths.
Last edited by sethile on Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
Charl

Post by Charl »

Scott, I think you've about got it covered.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

No need for any apology Mike. You are more than welcome here, and I am really happy you decided to respond to this thread. Do not worry about hurting anyone's feelings on this forum. We have thick skin from all the sanding.

For everyone that does not know Mike personally, I can say that he is an honest businessman with integrity, and he has helped our hobby and many pipe makers. He really cares about the people and the pipes. I have a lot of respect for you Mike.

I think where there may be a major difference in our views is what exactly is Danish, English, & Italian. In my opinion, many classical Danish & Italian shapes derive from English/French (traditional classic) shapes. Those types of shapes I still consider English. The shapes that I view as Danish are usually much more rounded, slim, elegant curvy in the shank area, etc., and there can also be some attractive (to my eyes) asymmetry. The Italian styling I refer to is usually many of the shapes you will see from Castello & Ser Jacopo. Although Ser Jacopo does venture into many English & Danish Styling. The Italian styling I refer to is mostly the softer transitions and more girth. Also the tapers are usually severe.

I did see many of Will's and Larry's early pipes. Will was still rough early on, and I could not put a definitive styling on his work back then except that it evolved into his current styling. All of Larry's early work that I have seen resembles much of what he has in his gallery.

I talked a lot about Will & Larry. I was not putting either of them down, and I consider both of them to be at the highest level of skill in pipe making. Will is absolutely precise in his finishing and shaping. Larry's strong point is his finishing and fit. Both of them have created their own style.

Adam, Lindner, Rad, & Trevor are also at that highest skill level and have ventured into all sorts of shapes & styles. I know for sure, Lindner has had the opportunity to be a hands on teacher to some, and Adam is so involved with many makers. Rad talks to everyone, and I am not sure how he gets time to make pipes. I do not know Trevor very well, but hope to do so in the future, and I know he has influenced many and created many unique shapes. The innovation!

Also, the vast majority of skilled professional pipe makers are capable of making any style or shape. It is choice that directs them in most of their styling whether it be due to personal taste or what the market calls for.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
BriarBlues

Post by BriarBlues »

Premal;

Thank You for the welcome and extremely kind words.

Does this mean I need to send you another $20.00? ;)

We agree with much of what you have written. I believe that much comes from each of our view of what is an A or a B.

Regards
Michael J. Glukler
Oakbear

Post by Oakbear »

The greatest artists are the ones who produce work in every school and style? That's a weird definition if you ask me....