woods

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
hard2handle334

woods

Post by hard2handle334 »

hey guys !!! Another new guy here, have smoked a pipe for years bun never crafted one. so I've been watching tutorials on youtube and other sites and I think I'll give it a try sometime soon. I was wondering as far as wood goes I am about to help some friends do some tree trimming on their property and they have what they call "a WILD Cherry tree". I would like to know if this is the same as a regular cherry tree ? If so I will save some of the wood for a future pipe project. would also like to know other woods that make good looking and good smoking pipes. Thanks !
sandahlpipe

Re: woods

Post by sandahlpipe »

If you want to try your hand at making a pipe, let me suggest going to vermontfreehand.com and having Steve send you a predrilled kit.

If you're dealing with wild cherry or any other kind of wood, you'll need to figure out how to dr it so it doesn't crack before you can work with it. While that's not a deal breaker, it's not something we typically do as pipe makers because we use primarily briar. You can use just about any tree's wood to make a pipe from, but your best bet is to figure out if it's toxic first. Just google the tree name and toxicity.

When you do make your first pipe, go ahead and post it here. Welcome to the forum.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Apparently, all but the fruit from wild cherry is toxic. I wouldn't use it for a pipe.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Mr. Huber put up a chart for all the woods and info.It is quite useful!
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

all cherry trees are closely related, wood from a wild cherry (Prunus virginiana) is nearly identical to commercial cherry, just smaller trees. takes a long time to air dry the branches.
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

Cherry wood can be used but the hassle involved in drying it properly is not really worth it, I have done it but used the wood on other projects.

Best thing to do if you want to make a pipe is just buy some briar, it really isn't all that expensive if you buy the lower grades and they will be fine to learn on. People seem to have a fascination with using other, inferior (for the most part) woods but why bother when briar is so easy to find.
RadDavis

Post by RadDavis »

What about pine? Is pine OK? Seems like the sap would provide a more "natural" bowl coating, and add an awesome flavor!

Rad
Alden

Post by Alden »

Only Dead Root Pine. The rest is shit.
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

RadDavis wrote:What about pine? Is pine OK? Seems like the sap would provide a more "natural" bowl coating, and add an awesome flavor!

Rad
LOL! cured in turpentine of course so it can be a foul weather pipe
hard2handle334

Post by hard2handle334 »

Thanks for the comments everyone !
SmokeyBert

Post by SmokeyBert »

SmokeyBert wrote:
RadDavis wrote:What about pine? Is pine OK? Seems like the sap would provide a more "natural" bowl coating, and add an awesome flavor!

Rad
All of my posts yesterday should have a 'cold and flu medicine' disclaimer. I am looking back over them and wondering what I was thinking..
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

SmokeyBert wrote:
SmokeyBert wrote:

Rad
All of my posts yesterday should have a 'cold and flu medicine' disclaimer. I am looking back over them and wondering what I was thinking..
I claim the same for all my posts over the last 2.5 years.
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Hello pipe dreamers...

I was interested for this wood chart that Mr Huber put up but i can t find it in the search engine..

If someone write the link with the old post i would be grateful! :)

I am interested for all kind of wood that are safe for smoking.

Thank you in advance
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Rad
Boy howdy I sure hope so. I have some pressure treated southern pine 4x4's that I could make a ton of pipes out of. It's about time we found something better than briar. Thanks Rad. You're the best.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

wdteipen wrote:

Rad
Boy howdy I sure hope so. I have some pressure treated southern pine 4x4's that I could make a ton of pipes out of. It's about time we found something better than briar. Thanks Rad. You're the best.
I've got some 50-year old pine 2x4's in the walls of my house. Man, with that age, it ought to be about the best source for pipe wood ever!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
BobR

Post by BobR »

Old treated railway ties. That's the ticket. The pipe should last 200 years.
Bob
DaninDayton

Post by DaninDayton »

jmoss,

Here is a link. It's not the one mentioned but it will do.

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-artic ... d-toxicity
DaninDayton
ilurkalot
jmoss

Post by jmoss »

Thank you DaninDayton...

but i still believe that this forum should have a list of all kind of woods that could be used for a pipe...

How can i be sure from the wood chart that a type of wood is safe for making a pipe, and i mean the wood toxicity...

Thank you and sorry if i am a trouble... :thumbsup:
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Briar, strawberry wood, olive wood, lemon wood, cherry wood, pear wood and morta (fossilized oak) have all been used to make pipes for decades and are generally considered the only usable pipe woods.
Anything else might possibly be either dangerous or not durable enough, so you do it at your own risk.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

BobR wrote:Old treated railway ties. That's the ticket. The pipe should last 200 years.
Nothing like the smell of creosote in the morning.