Playing favorites

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
BobR

Re: Playing favorites

Post by BobR »

Yak wrote: Jesse Jones is pretty good too.

I like Jesse's pipes too.
Last edited by BobR on Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob
JMG

Post by JMG »

I'm fairly fond of Mr. Teipen. The pipes of his I own are extremely well executed, balanced, and have all but necessary briar removed.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
billiard

Post by billiard »

Rad Davis.

I’ve been off in commission world for months and only make a couple pipes a month on average so I’m not online much regarding pipes (I’ve got two pipes for my site in the works though and will likely post them in the gallery when done so I may join in the commentaries again as well).

That all said my big hat tip is to Rad. He doesn’t know me from jack, don’t think we have ever done email once. However I’ve based a lot of my pipe making mentality off of Rad. I’ve never seen him once talk smack about other people’s pipes, I’ve always seen him give helpful advice on pipe making\smoking\etc.

Obviously any maker mentioned in this thread is way past the basics so I’ll say, very inelegantly, that all of Rad’s pipes, to me, look as if they want to be smoked. Many pipes out there look to be made for display. I’ll contrast an un-named pipe maker, I am thinking of, who makes fantastically perfect pipes but all look sterile to me, lacking in soul, even though they are perfect and ready for display. Rad’s pipes say take me off this display and smoke me. In my mind, from having never met the guy, Rad’s pipes and personality show how to make pipes and how to run a pipe business.

Rad started selling very inexpensively and slowly over time raised his prices as his pipes sold faster and faster. This model has been my approach, my first pipes were gifted free, then next were $20. I have no time to run around the internet (no disrespect to those who do) and advertise myself, or just make tons of friends on forums, so I sell my pipes at a price that helps them move quickly. Slowly over time I have raised my prices. 2 years of corn cobs and then after that 3 years doing briar until now, though with this as a hobby I make less pipes than others who have been doing it the same amount of time. Likely very few people know me but I have a small group of very loyal customers who own many pipes that return for more, and word of mouth is slowly gaining me more customers.

Following Rad’s approach has worked for me. Many, many times, if Rad answers a question in a thread I just go with his answer and do not even bother reading the other answers. If you read this Rad (though I hear you’re so old you prolly fell asleep already) the answer is “yes, that does help, thank you”.

Rad is the man, IMHO.

Tip of the pipe to Sasquatch as well who, 3 years ago when I first switched to briar, said something like “it’s cool to just be a hobbyist if that’s what you want, just keep trying to make each pipe a little better than the last one and don’t quit”.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I will strike a blow for traditional shapes...

There are not many guys who make unadorned classics, especially in smaller sizes, but there's a Greek dude named Chris Asteriou who absolutely kicks ass.

They comprise about 50% of his output and are worth checking out if you have a chance at a show sometime. (The other 50% is modern-y Danish-y stuff that is top quality work, but doesn't break any new ground, imo.)

His traditionals, though, are an amazing meld of late 19th / early 20th century primness, ultra-clean Classic Danish lines (think Teddy Knudson), English shape chart identifiability, and 21st century execution. Absolutely flawless in hand.

--------------

As for my favorite among 'Murricans? That's tough. All the established first rank guys can dazzle---Jeff Gracik, Rod Davies, BAW, etc---and many of the "started in the last five years" crowd can, too. Hell, there's even a few 2-3 year talent monsters who are progressing on Fast Forward. So, I'm gonna cop out and say my cat, Daisy. She nibbled away most of a can's-worth of Friskies Salmon Banquet the other day leaving behind a pipe-ish shape (cats rarely finish their food) that dried by morning into into a lovely blowfish, so she qualifies.

You go, grrrl:

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

LatakiaLover wrote:As for my favorite among 'Murricans? That's tough. All the established first rank guys can dazzle---Jeff Gracik, Rod Davies, BAW, etc---and many of the "started in the last five years" crowd can.
Thank you, George. I'm humbled and greatly appreciate your kind words. Happy Thanksgiving.
BAW
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

JMG wrote:I'm fairly fond of Mr. Teipen. The pipes of his I own are extremely well executed, balanced, and have all but necessary briar removed.

Thanks JM.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com