Is this pipe worth $470?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
kamkiel

Re: Is this pipe worth $470?

Post by kamkiel »

I am not trying to make excuses for the cutting of corners, but I want to comment on the price. Last year while talking with an Eastern European pipemaker, he said because of sanctions the cost of getting briar into the country is super high. He would first buy from Italy and have it sent to Estonia. Then from Estonia it would be taken across the border, and then shipped to his address. Naturally, these prices would also be reflected in the final selling price of the pipe.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Sasquatch wrote:Is this a Wayne Teipen? That guy sux.
Nah, I haven't used boxwood on a pipe yet. Otherwise, this could be a dead ringer for one of mine except he said the shaping is good. And, of course, I wouldn't charge $470 for a mediocre sandblast. Hell, I've never charged $470 for a spectacular sandblast for that matter.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Those make the Vodka go down easier George!!! I like the idea of a Teipen or Alden, if you can get one. They do inspire!!!
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I've mostly come to the conclusion that we all try to make our pipes perfect because we are dumbasses. It seems that consumers are primarily concerned with general aesthetics and if you can smoke tobacco in it. Everything else seems to be less important and brand/name recognition goes a long way. It's frustrating, but we do it to ourselves. I, for one, am going to keep being a dumbass, 'cause I like the taste.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

mredmond wrote:I've mostly come to the conclusion that we all try to make our pipes perfect because we are dumbasses. It seems that consumers are primarily concerned with general aesthetics and if you can smoke tobacco in it. Everything else seems to be less important and brand/name recognition goes a long way. It's frustrating, but we do it to ourselves.
It depends on your target market. Anyone who aspires to be sought after by the deep pockets collector guys can never take their eye off the ball. They absolutely DO notice the tiny stuff.

Furthermore, they pay attention to---and reward---commitment and single-mindedness. Meaning a carver who suddenly gets good after not seeming to care much before that (or who started selling too soon) will be regarded in a dimmer light than one whose work started strong and then charted on a steadily rising line.

The only significant exceptions I can think of are those collectors who get in the hobby and start with a bang. They don't know much and buy everything that's shiny. (Then they either flip it in a few years or move on to another hobby, but that's a different subject). The other exception is when a carver's name has been so big for so long that some slack is given later in their career. That's not terribly common, but it happens.
Last edited by LatakiaLover on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
mredmond
Site Supporter

Post by mredmond »

I agree with you, George. I was mostly joking. I have seen some pretty squirrelly stuff on some very expensive pipes and heard people raving about pipes that have all sorts of issues. We all know how that goes...nothing new. My approach is to make the best pipes I can because it makes me feel good and I appreciate the respect of my peers. Hopefully, that translates into sales. If not, I'll keep at it anyway, because I'm a dumbass.
pipeguy

Post by pipeguy »

The pipe is worth what someone will pay.Everyone's observation are spot on.However if people will pay
There sum then yes someone thought it was worth $470 they may never get it again (shame on them)
This line hurts but we have all been victim of this at one time (caveat emptor)
"I never knew how empty was my soul untill it was filled" Arthur
http://www.clarkpipes.com
Tyler
Site Supporter

Post by Tyler »

Another factor to consider is that $470 for some makers isn't expensive. Once you've been at this for a while, and once your prices have hit 4 digits, a pipe in the $400's seems like a lower end price. It's a price that you can ask for a less than perfect pipe.

I realize that might be frustrating if yours aren't selling for half the price and twice the "quality", but if this guys is has been at it a while he does something right to develop a reputation. Also realize that you acknowledge this pipe is beautifully shaped. Not everyone cares about the nuances we care about. People buy beauty faster than perfection (though both is even better).
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Tyler wrote:Another factor to consider is that $470 for some makers isn't expensive. Once you've been at this for a while, and once your prices have hit 4 digits, a pipe in the $400's seems like a lower end price. It's a price that you can ask for a less than perfect pipe.
This makes a lot of sense. I hadn't looked at it that way at all, and I think think this explanation goes the furthest to explain what is actually going on. Guy sells pipes that sometimes reach 4 figures, and I bought a "second" for half that. Case closed.

As an epilogue to the story, I got my money back and bought a Scott Klein estate. I am very happy with that purchase, and it ended up costing me less.
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods