Local pipemakers

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
pmbattles

Local pipemakers

Post by pmbattles »

I have been searching online for pipemakers close to me that might allow me to visit, with no luck. Do ya'll know any pipemakers in or around Arkansas that I could visit? Thanks
PremalChheda

Re: Local pipemakers

Post by PremalChheda »

Go to a show, correspond with pipe makers, strike up some friendships, do some favors. Then perhaps someone will invite you to visit.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

I'm not near Arkansas, but you're welcome to visit if you get up to Minnesota. Otherwise, bring some of your pipes to a show and ask pipe makers for feedback. You may be lucky as I was to get invited that way if there's a real drive to learn. Besides, the feedback from the veteran pipemakers in person is worth the cost of the show.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

Thanks for the advice and Jeremiah, thanks for the offer! I don't know if I am headed that far north anytime soon, but I am hoping to attend the the KC show in September.
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

Being shown by a Pipemaker is a fast trac. So much has to be worn into muscle, nerve, brain memory. go to a pipe show and take some of your pipes!!!
bhenusmc

Post by bhenusmc »

I'm in Arkansas but I'm very inexperienced but learning.. I'm near little Rock where are you located

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Since re starting pipe making almost 2 years ago, I have been able to visit the shops of Jason Thompson and Premal Chheda. I've also met Mike Thomas at a local pipe club.
I was privileged to have Jeremiah Sandahl look at some of my pipes in Chicago.
I arranged to visit Premal when I drove to Chicago, it was well worth sitting in a truck for 14 hours to stop in Columbus while driving from Baltimore.
At the Chicago show, I took the basic pipe making course. Working from a kit was a little restricting, but I was able to meet the guys who taught the course and learned a huge amount.
One of the most interesting and fruitful interactions was putting one of my pipes in the hands of an artisan pipe maker and learning what he or she thinks is important and checks out.
If you ever plan a visit to Baltimore or D.C., contact me. You would be welcome in my shop.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

DocAitch,

Crazy enough, I may be in D.C. on August 17th-20th. The ACS is hosting a Chemical Health and Safety conference up there that I plan on attending, just have to get my paperwork approved for reimbursement. I will keep you posted. Thanks.
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

OK, if our schedules mesh, perhaps we can get together. D.C. Is about an hour away, but there is regular train service if you don't have a vehicle.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy