When did Vermont Freehand combine with Pimo?

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
Literaryworkshop

When did Vermont Freehand combine with Pimo?

Post by Literaryworkshop »

I was shopping online for pipe supplies for the first time in almost a year (I've let my pipe making lie fallow lately), and I see that Steve Norse appears to have acquired Pimo! The website looks really nice, and I'll be putting in an order soon.

I'm curious, though. When did this happen? Any interesting story behind it?
- Steve S.
LatakiaLover

Re: When did Vermont Freehand combine with Pimo?

Post by LatakiaLover »

It was several years ago. The original PIMO people (a married couple, I think) wanted to retire and Steve wanted to expand. The timing for both was ideal.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

I he has since purchased what was left of PME as well. Don't remember when exactly
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
Vermont Freehand

Post by Vermont Freehand »

In February 2016 I acquired PIMO. I had been helping Ginny with her briar ordering, stem ordering, drilling of pipe kits, etc for a few years before I bought PIMO. I grew up in the same town she lives in, have painted her house when I was younger and got my start pipe making through PIMO. Being friends for a while and helping her continue as long as she did, she let me know when she was ready to hand it over. I still see Ginny every couple days at the post office, she's a sweetheart. Hopefully someday I will rewrite the PIMO book and bring it to a modern approach.

In December of 2016 I acquired Pipemakers Emporium. They had done a liquidation sale before I acquired their inventory. Hopefully this year I can revamp the acrylic stem inventory.

It's been a pleasure to create a one stop shop with the best prices, selection, and service that the industry has ever seen. It's more of a lifestyle choice than a job at times, but I wouldn't give it up for anything :)
Literaryworkshop

Post by Literaryworkshop »

Wow, step away from the forum for a little while, and look what happens! Steve, I had no idea you had connections to PIMO.

I'd love to see what you do with the PIMO book. Don't leave that project on the back burner too long, though. Done right, it will be an invaluable resource for years to come. I'll buy a copy!
- Steve S.