Starting out

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
jeff

Starting out

Post by jeff »

The learning process is one that I suspect all of us here in the forums thrive upon. We love the lure of new ideas and methods and are unable to withstand the temptation of a new hobby. Each of us has come to this craft for one reason or another, but we share a zeal for creating usable objects from basic, mundane materials. There’s nothing inherently special about the materials alone. Their value is only realized when they’ve been transformed by an artisan into a product.

Above you will see a photo of cappuccino art. Generally called latte art, except of course when it adorns a cappuccino, the image is poured , swirled, and etched onto the surface of the crema topped espresso. This is not a particularly good example, having sat around for almost 10 minutes while I made my way to the workshop to take the photo. Latte art takes practice—even to do sub-par work like that pictured above.

There are many elements that contribute to a successful attempt at this art: fresh beans, even grinding, proper tamping and polishing, correct boiler temperature, sufficient steam, milk temperature, frother tip design. The aforementioned don’t even begin to cover the art of steaming milk to create just the right “texture” so that this kind of art may be created.

I have steamed dozens of gallons of milk practicing my technique. In fact, the environmentalist in me cringes to think how many of those failed attempts were simply poured down the drain. This was all preceded with hours of reading and watching examples of folks frothing the milk to get it just right. And of course, it is built upon years of learning and honing my espresso technique. Now, several years into pouring latte art I have the ability to, with little effort or thought, walk through the above steps and create the mediocre example above. A little more attention to details, or perhaps a more prompt photo session, would have yielded a more perfect effort.

Now, before you begin to think that I’ve posted this on the wrong website, I want to tie this into pipe making. Todd Johnson wrote an article a while back that is now a sticky in this section entitled Pipe Alchemy in which he encourages folks to learn to crawl before they try to walk. Every last one of the successful and recognized professional Pipemakers today has gone to great lengths to master the basics. Sixten Ivarsson, in an oft told, but not worn out story, is said to have demanded that the few apprentices he took on make a billiard. They were to make it perfectly. The apprentice presented the effort and Sixten corrected it. Each successive billiard was more refined than the last until Sixten offered his approval. Then he demanded that they make a dozen more exactly like it.

Part of the reason why today’s grand masters are in fact recognized as masters of their art is that they took the time to perfect the basic steps in pipemaking. They appreciated their teacher and respected his mastery of the craft. They took the opportunity to learn from him and from any other source that would contribute to the advancement of their skills—technically and artistically.

The problem is that the basics are boring once you’ve made your first or second run through the steps. As I was learning to froth milk for lattes I read and read, and then after I poured my first real, recognizable cup of “art.” I was convinced that I had mastered it. Then I tried to make another and was quickly put in my place. Pipemaking, like any such activity, demands discipline, attention, and humility if one is to advance. Not one person stepped up to the shaping wheel with a block of briar the first time and made a masterpiece. Some may have better results than others, but even if the first is promising, the second is sure to be a dog.

What we have here in this online community is an accumulation of knowledge in text. All of the necessary information for making your first pipe can be found here. A simple archival search on any given question—from buying the tools for your first pipe to the results of experiments with various bowl coating recipes—will yield useful and relevant information. Moreover, you have the chance to bend the ears of veteran professionals of the craft like Rad Davis, Todd Johnson, Jack Howell and others whose advice is both prescient and valuable.

Many of you who post here are just having fun. That’s great! I encourage you to continue to do so and continue to contribute your experiences and photos of your work. This post is directed at those hobbyists who have a genuine desire to improve their work and who entertain thoughts of transitioning their hobby into a vocation. I am attempting to offer advice to hobbyist Pipemakers at many stages of the game who wish to advance their skills. Learn to crawl. Master it. Post your efforts in the gallery for peer and professional review. Be patient and diligent. If you learn to crawl first, I can assure you that your first attempt to walk will surprise even you.

Best,

Jeff
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Somewhere I have the images of my first and second pipes. The first could only be described as "dumb luck". The second is, well, the adjective "dog" fails to describe the horror that was that pipe.

And before I started making pipes I tried to make a knife. The first, second, third, and so on (something like 12 running feet of steel) ended up in the recycling bin. 10 years afterward, I feel like I can consistently make a knife that people will look at and WANT. Moreover, I know that knife is going to be sharp, cut like a razor, keep its edge for a damn long time before needing attention, and never fail its owner.

How do knives tie in? While I have the mechanics of pipe making down, sometimes the form escapes me, and I don't always feel like I've made a pipe that people WANT. Am I being too critical of myself, or is that reality? I, personally, don't feel like I've hit the point yet where I consistently make a pipe with the visual appeal that Todd, Jeff, Jody, Jack, Michael, and other folks can. If I had half a brain, I would have given the proverbial finger to the banking world about 3 years before I did, and begged Todd to teach me when he posted here that he was looking for a partner (it's here, just buried by 3+ years of posts).

I'm not saying that you need to apprentice with a current pro, but for goodness sake, please listen when these guys tell you something. If you want to experiment, fine. But if we say "Don't bother, it won't work.", there's probably a reason behind it.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Frank

Post by Frank »

KurtHuhn wrote:I'm not saying that you need to apprentice with a current pro, but for goodness sake, please listen when these guys tell you something. If you want to experiment, fine. But if we say "Don't bother, it won't work.", there's probably a reason behind it.
Both Jeff and Kurt make a number of excellent points, but the one above should be the attention getter for newcomers. Which is why I reiterate, "Take the time to read as many previous forum posts as possible".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
People usually get the gods they deserve - Terry Pratchett
Charl

Post by Charl »

Jeff, what a great combination: coffee and pipes! Definitely got my attention.
As an avid and very regular (at least 2 per day) espresso drinker, I never actually thought of doing latte art with just an espresso. Will try with my next one!
FredS

Post by FredS »

I couldn't agree more Jeff. As a new pipe maker who hopes to become a pipe seller someday, I spend all of my shop time developing the skills required to efficiently produce the traditional shapes. Billiards and Dublins may not be sexy, but they foster sound engineering and craftsmanship because the finished pipe can be objectively compared to a standard.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far, far away (South Carolina), I taught a CNC programming class. It amazed me how many guys would walk in thinking they’d be able to program some sort of 5-axis sculpture after the first day, when they didn’t even have an understanding of the simple x, y, z coordinate system. This was back in the day when we programmed “by hand”, line by line. I had to work with most of them for weeks to learn basic trigonometry, and to develop 3D spatial awareness before they could program a simple drilled hole.

I’m the kind of guy who gets lost in the minutiae of tobacco chamber shapes, proper engineering of draft holes and the secret buffing tricks for contrast staining, but I agree with Jeff that there’s plenty of room around here for someone who wants to putter around the shop making pipes for fun.

I, for one, place a very high value on the advice and guidance I get from those who’ve gone before me. So thank you O Great Master’s-of-the-Pipe for helping us newbies.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
sethile

Post by sethile »

Fantastic post, Jeff!
Scott E. Thile
Collector, smoker, and aspiring pipemaker.
http://sethilepipes.com
Sysop: http://pipedia.org
---------------------
StephenG

Re: Starting out

Post by StephenG »

I am just starting out and have been reading a little bit here and there for the past few weeks. I am facinated to say the least. I started making pipes a couple of months ago by cuttin branches off my plumb tree that had the right angle I was looking for in the stem, leaving the bark on. Played around a bit with the hole size in the stem so it felt right then I finaly decided to go on line and I found this sight.
My question is about burl, I live in the city of Los Angeles and we don't have much briar growing around here. I have been following tree cutters around and manage to score some burl off of different trees every few days. Is there any risk of these trees being poison in a pipe if I boil the wood or for that matter boil the roughed out pipe? I plan just to use these for practice for the first year or so. I am switching over from making primitive archery equipment and I know my propensity leans more toward the mechanical side than the finish side although I am looking forward to some designs of my own. Thanks Steve
TRS
Site Supporter

Post by TRS »

StephenG wrote:my plumb tree that had the right angle
The accidental punster! :lol:
Nick

Post by Nick »

Great fun. And a terrific post. I wonder if some where, a few hundred years in the future, some archeology geek will unearth this forum and wonder what the hell we're talking about. Hehehe!

I doubt I'll ever sell my pipes. Or at least seriously. I am making one for a guy now, and he wants to pay me. Even after I told him he didn't have to. I'm a hobbiest hack and that's probably all I'll ever be. Maybe one day, people will dig up my pipes the way they did with Jens Holmgarde's pipes and say "Hey, this guy knew Jeff Gracic!" (damn if i can spell anything!) No worries. Still, I think alot of what's been said can apply to the hobbiest with no intention of becoming pro as well as those serious hobbiest with eyes for the profession. After all, art doesn't always come from professional artists.
flix

Post by flix »

Nick wrote: [snip] I'm a hobbiest hack and that's probably all I'll ever be. [snip]
Hey, I represent that remark! ;)
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

...and then there is flying. You look around a bit, then just spread your wings and get into the wind.
M
Frank

Post by Frank »

Mike Messer wrote:...and then there is flying. You look around a bit, then just spread your wings and get into the wind.
...or, just throw yourself at the ground... and miss!
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
T3pipes

Post by T3pipes »

This is quite difficult to do however. You can not miss on purpose, you have to miss accidentally. The trick is you have to have something distract you just before you would hit the ground. It is much easier to become distracted after the first time.
Anvil

Post by Anvil »

Don't forget to bring a towel.
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the management or of the little green men who have been following me all day.
Nick

Post by Nick »

the towel is a must
Frank

Post by Frank »

Nick wrote:the towel is a must
Oh great!! Now you tell me!!

True story: Whenever we attend shows/fairs out of town we stay at some or other motel. However, I always pack a towel in my bag. One day The Boss asked me howcome I pack a towel when the motel has towels. My reply was, "Hitchhikers' Guide, my dear - never travel without a towel".
Regards,
Frank.
------------------
Grouch Happens!
Nick

Post by Nick »

You are an inspiration to all of us Frank!
Mike Messer

Post by Mike Messer »

Frank wrote:
Mike Messer wrote:...and then there is flying. You look around a bit, then just spread your wings and get into the wind.
...or, just throw yourself at the ground... and miss!
I think you missed my point. It's about inspiration. It drives you like a rocket.
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

Mike Messer wrote: I think you missed my point. It's about inspiration. It drives you like a rocket.
You're thinking of caffeine.
Blueb3

Post by Blueb3 »

Great posts, and honestly, it describes me to a T. I think I have ADD when it comes to hobbies, but I'm not complaining :p

One of my other hobbies is brewing beer. I started out with a pretty simple kit, and under the guidance of a neighbor who has been brewing for a couple years, made a pretty decent brown ale (drinking a home brew now). After being surprised at how EASY that first batch was, I decided to crank it up a couple notches and brew my own recipe: an oatmeal breakfast stout with honey. It came out AMAZING... eventually. It was pretty much undrinkable for the first 6 months until it conditioned and aged in the bottles. Third batch was a refined version of my original recipe and was delicious after only 3 months! SUCCESS! By this time I was thinking I wanted to make another batch of the brown ale I had started with, so I ordered up the kit again, and knocked out the batch like it was nothing. One problem, I can't open the bottles. You see, when I was bottling the beer, I added too much priming sugar, and now they are over-carbonated. So as soon as I open the bottles they act like diet coke and mento's. Funny as hell the first time, but sad when you realize "that's beer being poured down the drain" :( Thankfully if I get them super cold (like right above freezing for over 24 hours) I can safely open the bottles and pour a glass. Just have to drink it before it warms up too much :p

Like most things in life the littlest things can trip you up. But if you remember to follow the basics, you'll do great.