J. T. Cooke video

For the things that don't fit neatly into the other categories.
mightysmurf8201

J. T. Cooke video

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I know that a few years back, before I joined the forum, some peope were disseminating copies of the J. T. Cooke DVD. Anyone here have a copy that they're willing to duplicate and send to me? I'm more than happy to cover shipping and handling costs.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
sandahlpipe

Re: J. T. Cooke video

Post by sandahlpipe »

The CPCC has an education tab that includes a pipe making video by JT Cooke. I don't know if that's what you're looking for. You can play it with either real player. Here's the link. http://www.chicagopipeshow.com/educatio ... eminar.ram
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

From my understanding, that is not the complete video, and is of much lower visual quality.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Massis

Post by Massis »

I've got the dvd "Don't try this at home" by J.T. cooke, thanks to this forum, I'm guessing that's the one?

I'll see if I can find it tonight and try and upload it to my dropbox for you guys! (It is my understanding that J.T. is ok with distributing this video freely, if anyone has other info in that regard, let me know!)
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

That would be cool. I'm definitely interested in watching the whole thing. He really knows what he's talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

Massis wrote:I've got the dvd "Don't try this at home" by J.T. cooke, thanks to this forum, I'm guessing that's the one?

I'll see if I can find it tonight and try and upload it to my dropbox for you guys! (It is my understanding that J.T. is ok with distributing this video freely, if anyone has other info in that regard, let me know!)
If he's ok with it, please do!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
Massis

Post by Massis »

Found the disc. It's converting as we speak. Just like I remember, the quality is crap (when was this shot? 1990?) but there's quite a bit of info in there. It's a total of 1h09, with the making of a pipe, quite a bit on sandblasting and then a Q&A at a pipe show (Chicago?) with J.T.

Once it's done converting to a single usable file, I'll upload it to dropbox. It will be about 1100MB in size so I might run a compression on it first as there really isn't any quality you can lose :P
Massis

Post by Massis »

And it's done. Enjoy folks!

Please download it and keep it locally, as you can only see the first 15 minutes as a preview on dropbox in a browser.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/crcpxrqoolonv ... t_home.mp4
DeflictedPipes

Post by DeflictedPipes »

Thanks man!
Last edited by DeflictedPipes on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
W.Pastuch

Post by W.Pastuch »

Thank you for uploading this!
I think I saw it in parts a long time ago, seeing it again now was very interesting.

I was really surprized about one thing I saw in the video - when J.T. show the block cut to shape, with the design and axes transferred from the template, you can clearly see that the draft hole through the shank is pretty far from the mortise axis. He says something about working with files and gouges to make the pipe pass a pipecleaner, but it's not shown in the video. Does anyone know if the mentioned process involves simply ramping the airway towards the center of the mortise bottom, or is there some other trick? It looks like J.T. didn't care at all about the alignement so I guess he either has a very clever and precise way of creating the ramped airway entrance or there's something that I missed...
Anyway, a very good video.
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Hello

I know this is a old thread. But is there anyone who has this video online? I tried the dropbox, but it was not existing. Anyone who has it? Who could upload it again?

Sent fra min SM-G925F via Tapatalk
Massis

Post by Massis »

Oscarsson wrote:Hello

I know this is a old thread. But is there anyone who has this video online? I tried the dropbox, but it was not existing. Anyone who has it? Who could upload it again?

Yeah I removed it from my dropbox, I might see if I still have it digitally somewhere, once I get back home...
Oscarsson

Post by Oscarsson »

Thanks Massis!

RayMcDaniel

Post by RayMcDaniel »

I would also love to see this.
AirrikWeaver

Post by AirrikWeaver »

yeah I still need to see this too! shoot
Isakowitch

Post by Isakowitch »

Any updates on the video? I'd love to watch it too

Sendt fra min ALE-L21 med Tapatalk
Soft onions are usually more soft than onions that aren't soft.
Massis

Post by Massis »

I don't have it digitally anymore, just on a DVD somewhere I haven't located yet...
kasperbunk

Post by kasperbunk »

I really really would like to see that video. Could someone upload it?
FrJacob

Post by FrJacob »

I know what it’s like to try to find a dvd, but maybe it’s surfaced by now? Thanks!
"A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to put in his mouth." - C.S. Lewis [False assumption: one never speaks with a pipe in his mouth].
Massis

Post by Massis »

haven't really looked for it anymore, and I have even less of a clue now where I put it...