question about a comoy stem repair

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
kamkiel

question about a comoy stem repair

Post by kamkiel »

A friend asked me to make him a replacement stem for a WWII(?) Comoy. The tenon has a metal tube running through it. Does any one know the purpose of the tube? And does it matter if I don't add the tube in the replacement? I really appreciate information I can get about this.

Thanks
Kiel
finster

Re: question about a comoy stem repair

Post by finster »

From what I understand aluminum inner tubes were instituted in an effort to cool the smoke being drawn before it reaches the smokers mouth, similar to the effect a longer churchwarden stem has on the draw. I have a few old Hilsons that had such tubes in them, and I found that they created moisture problems. I removed all the tubes and have had no issues, in fact one of them is one of my best smokers. Just my experience, others may feel differently.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Finster, I don't think a removable "condensation tube" is what he was referring to.

Kamkiel --- you are talking about a pressed/glued reinforcing tube that's PART of the stem, yes? If so, don't worry, reproducing it isn't necessary for a repair. If not, please describe in greater detail or attach a pic.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

LatakiaLover wrote:
Kamkiel --- you are talking about a pressed/glued reinforcing tube that's PART of the stem, yes? If so, don't worry, reproducing it isn't necessary for a repair.
This is what I was referring to. Its nice to know that it isn't necessary for a repair. Thanks!
finster

Post by finster »

LatakiaLover wrote:Finster, I don't think a removable "condensation tube" is what he was referring to.

Kamkiel --- you are talking about a pressed/glued reinforcing tube that's PART of the stem, yes? If so, don't worry, reproducing it isn't necessary for a repair. If not, please describe in greater detail or attach a pic.
I'm sure my response was still incorrect, but for clarity's sake, I don't think the Hilson innertubes were designed to be removable; I heated the stems and removed them.
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I finished the new stem, and the owner was very pleased! He even gave me a tin of HH vintage Syrian! It is no George repair, but it works. The stem actually was 1cm shorter than the original. I talked with the owner about this before I started. My lathe isn't big enough to make longer stems.

Kiel
Attachments
e31758641ef6149847ff7c91e8ea651091ca8c06.jpg
(94.91 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

You did well. The slight vertical offset of the stem and shank is because things got off-center during final shaping of the stem-stummel combination at the factory. All you can do (if you decide to make any more replacement stems) is turn the face of the stem slightly oversize and dress to level by hand after mating.

The bend is a bit off in the "pure" sense, but is actually more like an original for it. The Brits were never very fussy about stem bend after the 1920's to mid-30's, and giving one of their pipes made after that time a stem that's bent to modern standards looks great, but it doesn't look authentic. Yours looks authentic.

You know the owner of that pipe is going to tell his friends about you, right? :lol: :lol: :lol:
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

Thanks George! It was a learning experience for sure.

He already told someone. That is how I got introduced to the man with a collection of burnt out dunhills!

Kiel
Charl

Post by Charl »

:lol: Good luck with that! That's one thing I definitely am not interested in. Fiddling with an estate is not for me, especially if the pipe is a basket pipe and the owner wants to pay 50c for the repair.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Charl wrote::lol: Good luck with that! That's one thing I definitely am not interested in. Fiddling with an estate is not for me, especially if the pipe is a basket pipe and the owner wants to pay 50c for the repair.
You just have to learn to say no to work like that and stick to collectables & high grades. Those guys understand what's up, and don't push back price-wise (within reason, of course).

The catch is they expect the quality of the work to equal the original (or be better), and be "invisible" after the fact.