Replacing Missing Wood---Heavily Damaged Patent Dunhill

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Replacing Missing Wood---Heavily Damaged Patent Dunhill

Post by LatakiaLover »

When damaged past a certain point, most pipes aren't worth repairing because it's easier (and also less expensive) to replace them.

When a pipe is pricelessly dear to you for personal reasons, though, it isn't only justified, it must be done.

That was the case with this old Dunhill. One of the occasional Dunnies produced without a date stamp, the owner did some Loring-y detective work and concluded it was made in 1936. Since that coincided with the time his grandfather told him he bought it---in the thirties---the age was settled.

What happened to it along the way will never be known, though. The stem was lost outright, and the stummel was covered with a number of symmetrically chewed-away areas, like it fell into a box of spinning gears or something. Two of the gouges were large and deep, but luckily weren't in places that compromised the smoking integrity of the pipe.

Since replacing the lost wood undetectably was the goal, building up the divots until level with briar-dust-filled glue wasn't an option. As much as possible, real wood needed to go back where it belonged because it was the only material that would texture and stain correctly.

So, here is the first of the badly damaged areas (which looks to have been sanded a bit then waxed over) :

-

And here is the second. Wood chipper city. Maybe a psychotic hamster got it(?):

-

This is the hamster's work in side view:

-

Since the missing chunk was a near-perfect semicircle in profile, a cylindrical section was the obvious thing to fill it with. So, a piece of briar was turned on a lathe with a matching radius:

-

It was also used a a tool. Before sectioning, the briar dowel did duty as a mini-rasp by tightly pinching a piece of 150 open grit around it, and the hamster gouge was cleaned up and flattened across the bottom lengthwise so there would be as close to 100% wood-to-wood contact as possible:

The smaller gouge (made by a mouse?) at the end of the shank was similarly deepened slightly and made uniform with a pillar file:

-

Then the lathe-turned cylinder was cut down into a smaller, easier-to-handle piece; and a small flat slab of briar was made to fit the notch on the end of the shank:

-

Then both pieces were glued in place with slow-cure epoxy that was made both black and opaque with pigment designed for the purpose. (A stain has no effect on epoxy, and a shiny, translucent seam would be visible later no matter how the pipe was finished):

-

After letting the epoxy FULLY cure, the little briar blocks were ground down to near-flush:

-

Time for a stem, so that the texturing can be done on leveled material. (Disappear, return w/stem in hand. :lol: I didn't take any photos of that process because everyone has seen stems made a million times. I will say it was made from SEM "superblack" rod, though, which gives old pipes an especially antique-y vibe.)

Also, lucky break: since I happened to have a pre-war shape 137 in my own collection, the stem is an exact match for an original, not a guess. :D

Both wood patch-fills were textured using rotary tools and Secret Old-Repairman Magic. The many smaller gouges found all over the pipe were also blended at this time:

-

Tip for restorers: The best way to get the depth and pattern right---meaning match the surrounding wood---is to check your work with a low angle light. Getting texture right is MUCH easier when shadows are used:

-

Here is the final result:

Last edited by LatakiaLover on Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Massis

Re: Replacing Missing Wood---Heavily Damaged Patent Dunhill

Post by Massis »

holy crap, that is G(e)orgeous!

You really do have magical skills...
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Nice work! Except Dunhill stems never looked that nice.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

This is pretty incredible. How long did it take from start to finish?

Kiel
Alden

Post by Alden »

Fantastic work George, thanks for sharing.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

What's the big deal, I have to do this to most of my sandblasts..... :lol:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

The only problem there, it looks too good. I have never seen a Dunhill come out of the factory that nice. Maybe if you did the stem work they might just be worth the money they ask.
Ocelot55

Post by Ocelot55 »

You're repair work never ceases to amaze me. :thumbsup:
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

kamkiel wrote:How long did it take from start to finish?
All work including the stem took 9.25 hours.

I know because I charge by the hour these days, so keep track. (Too many gotchas in repair work to do the flat-rate-per-task thing. It's why so many crash and burn, I think.)
caskwith wrote:The only problem there, it looks too good. I have never seen a Dunhill come out of the factory that nice. Maybe if you did the stem work they might just be worth the money they ask.
Funny but true: It KILLS me to make a dead-on, super-exact, fool-the-experts stem because my Inner Perfection Chaser raises holy hell. Almost all Dunnie stems have slightly wonky button/slot alignment, and most of the long taper ones have some dwell time "sag" about 1/3rd of the way from the shank. And don't get me started on their chunky 70's-era stuff. But some collectors insist on things being wrong to be right. I can see their point, especially at re-sell time, but I still hate doing it.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Revelation

Post by Revelation »

WOW!
"When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints"
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

LatakiaLover wrote:
kamkiel wrote:How long did it take from start to finish?
All work including the stem took 9.25 hours.

I know because I charge by the hour these days, so keep track. (Too many gotchas in repair work to do the flat-rate-per-task thing. It's why so many crash and burn, I think.)

Good for you!  My dad was a mechanic, and all of his jobs were “this fix takes X hours, so its this much money” and he would take a commission on that。 I am pleased to see that you are getting paid by the hour on your jobs。

Kiel
Joe Hinkle Pipes

Post by Joe Hinkle Pipes »

truly amazing work. I think George should have his own reality show. Maybe put him in a shop with the Vermont boys and watch the magic unfold. George Abe Steve and J.T in a room should be more than entertaining.
d.huber

Post by d.huber »

You never cease to amaze, George! Great work!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
http://www.dshpipes.com

"Strive for excellence, not for what someone else accepts."
-Tyler Beard
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

Incredible. I wouldn't have known where to begin, (and wouldn't have). I truly admire your skill and your ethic.
DocAitch.
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
JMG

Post by JMG »

Witch!
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad