Gourd Calabash

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
smokindawg

Gourd Calabash

Post by smokindawg »

I'm just getting back into pipe stuff after a long time away for many reasons. I was in the shop last night digging thru a scrap bin and found a decent little gourd calabash. It has an extension that is cracked and wasn't glued in anymore. So I decided to make a blue and white acrylic extension for it. I'll also have to do some work on the stem as well.

I'll also have to make a bowl as the original is missing. I'm not sure which wood I'll go with but thinking about either Walnut, cherry or briar. I'll need to find cork to replace the seal and wondered if anyone had a good place to get what I need.

I'll try to get pictures of the pipe today and add too it as I work on the pipe.

Before you know it maybe I'll start making pipes again. :D
Pipe Maker in the Making!
scotties22

Re: Gourd Calabash

Post by scotties22 »

You want to get musician grade cork. You can buy it by the sheet from Musician's Friend.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/woodwind ... sheet-cork

I want to say that I have the 1/16" stuff. Cut a strip a touch longer and taller than what you need (I put the factory side down as it is already nice and straight). I use epoxy to glue it in. When you get back around just use an exacto knife to cut off the extra. Once the epoxy is dry sand the cork level with the gourd. If you use 5 minute epoxy you can replace the cork in about 15 minutes.
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Don't forget to get some cork grease from them when you get the cork. You will want to lube the cork really well before you try to fit the new cup.
www.ladybriar.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Wow, that stuff isn't cheap....... I'll look around and see if I can find a better price before I make a purchase. But, thanks for the heads up on what I need. This is a cute little calabash. About the smallest I've seen and I'd like to give it a new life. It's been sitting in the bin for several years and I look at it every time I'm out in the shop.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

Measure how much cork you think you need and I'll send you some off my sheet. I have enough to make about 30 gourds....so it's not a problem to send you some. If you have a music store near you you should be able to get the grease for about $2 a tube.
www.ladybriar.com
smokindawg

Post by smokindawg »

Thanks Scotties. I'll get a measurement.

I wanted to show a couple pictures of the pipe I'm working on. The size of this pipe is 6" from front of gourd to end of stem and it's 2 1/2" tall. It isn't the nicest calabash but should make a nice little smoker. And, I'll get some good practice working on it.

In the picture is a pipe I'm in the process of making. I added it to give an idea of the calabash size. The small pipe is 4 1/2" long and 1 5/8" tall.

This is a picture of it with the original extension. It is cracked a couple places and was loose from the pipe.

This is the pipe with the extension I'm making for it.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

scotties22 wrote:Don't forget to get some cork grease from them when you get the cork. You will want to lube the cork really well before you try to fit the new cup.
I just fuckin love when you talk like this, Scottie. Damn.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

Sasquatch wrote:
scotties22 wrote:Don't forget to get some cork grease from them when you get the cork. You will want to lube the cork really well before you try to fit the new cup.
She said CORK. With an "R".
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by scotties22 »

Ratimus wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:
She said CORK. With an "R".
That doesn't matter to Sasshole.....I said lube, that's all it takes! :lol:
www.ladybriar.com
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

Scottie,
Astroglide is his favorite. He even uses it on his eggs for breakfast instead of ketchup.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

The cinnamon stuff is pretty good for sure. :thumbsup:
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

And he puts "Kentucky jelly" on his toast...
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods