General Expoy, Resins and Glues

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
stemandbriar

General Expoy, Resins and Glues

Post by stemandbriar »

Curious as to what everone uses out there for glues and epoxy's
Just wondering if there's anytihng better on the market. It's an ever changing landscape.

Not sure if people have a one stop shop, or use various types for metal, tennons, logos, etc.

I've had good luck with gel glues (Gorilla and Crazy).
Was loocking at loctite epoxy as well.

For the longest time I had some cool marine two part epoxy, but it seems its time has finally come and it's no longer active.
That and I don't see it available anymore.

Thanks
-Jamie
sandahlpipe

Re: General Expoy, Resins and Glues

Post by sandahlpipe »

I generally use Gorilla 5 minute epoxy that comes in a syringe-like double tube. Easy to get the right amount and it dries clear. It's easy to find at the local hardware stores and holds up great. I also sometimes use a 24-hour clear epoxy that I get through McMaster. That one works really well. I've played around with bar top epoxy for resin casting with moderate success, but it was only experimental. I've also sometimes used gorilla glue, which is fairly messy, but super strong. Super glue also has its place for some things here and there, like gluing inlay stacks together and for attaching scraps to the stummel when freehand drilling.

I think if I were going to scale back the adhesives in my shop, I'd narrow it down to a 5 minute epoxy and super glue. I can't think of a pipe-making application where one or the other of those wouldn't work.
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

I also use the gorilla 5 minute stuff in the syringe style dispenser. There are probably stronger ones out there, but I know mine works as I had some delrin shatter before the epoxy gave during a lathe mishap awhile back.
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

Epoxy for areas that you need time and won't be affected by heat. Ca glue for areas that may warm up.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

PremalChheda wrote:Epoxy for areas that you need time and won't be affected by heat. Ca glue for areas that may warm up.
So with this in mind, CA for delrin tenons??

sent from my blah-dee-blah using hooty-hoo
instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

I think delrin tenons are a special case because the material is so slick that it needs to be scored and the bond depends on the mechanical properties of the solidified epoxy. Also, that area doesn't get that hot.
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

If there is a chance the joint can get hot I use J-B Weld (steel version) which can take 500F.
Otherwise, I use G-Flex. I use a slow set CA for making up stacks of trim rings.
Ratimus

Post by Ratimus »

seamonster wrote:
PremalChheda wrote:Epoxy for areas that you need time and won't be affected by heat. Ca glue for areas that may warm up.
So with this in mind, CA for delrin tenons??

In my understanding, CA fails at lower temperatures than epoxy, though their heat resistances are relatively similar. Neither one is spectacular.

http://www.permabond.com/2014/09/11/adh ... adhesives/

http://m.machinedesign.com/adhesives/gu ... g-plastics
Ryan Richardson
R2 Pipes/Ryan's Luxury Goods

Post by W.Pastuch »

I use a polish brand of epoxy glue (Poxipol) for most stuff, JB Weld for anything that might get hot or has only a small area of adhesion (cannot recommend it enough, it's amazing!) and CA for temporary gluing or stuff that will get mechanically bonded or glued with epoxy later or.
It's important to get to know your glue (Hi, I'm Wojtek, nice to meet you:D), if you buy a different brand each time you might get surprises. That's why I use the Poxipol brand, it may not be the very best epoxy on the market but I can find it everywhere around here and I know exactly how to use it - how to mix it, how it cures, how strong it is, etc., so I have consistent results.
scotties22

Post by scotties22 »

oklahoma red wrote:If there is a chance the joint can get hot I use J-B Weld (steel version) which can take 500F.
Otherwise, I use G-Flex. I use a slow set CA for making up stacks of trim rings.

^^^^^^^ This
Am I Calamity Jane or Annie Oakley??...depends on the day.
www.ladybriar.com
seamonster

Post by seamonster »

scotties22 wrote:
oklahoma red wrote:If there is a chance the joint can get hot I use J-B Weld (steel version) which can take 500F.

^^^^^^^ This
Charles and Scottie:
1. Do you use Gflex for tenons?
2. Will you describe a situation where the joint might get hot, and you would use JB Weld? Seems to me, the hottest joint would be the tenon, assuming delrin and not integral...

instagram.com/seamonster_workshop/
kamkiel

Post by kamkiel »

I think the hottest joints would be on shank extensions like bamboo where the joint is closer to the bowl. I use Chinese stuff because I live in China. I know it doesn't sound too promising, but only failures I've had can be blamed on me. For example, not scoring good enough while using delrin, or using a lower heat tolerant epoxy for connections closer to the bowl.
oklahoma red

Post by oklahoma red »

seamonster wrote:
scotties22 wrote:

^^^^^^^ This
Charles and Scottie:
1. Do you use Gflex for tenons?
2. Will you describe a situation where the joint might get hot, and you would use JB Weld? Seems to me, the hottest joint would be the tenon, assuming delrin and not integral...

I've made odd-ball stuff with very short shanks and various pieces of trim glued up close to the bowl and use the J-B for that.
I thread almost all Delrin tenons and bugger both internal and external threads so the epoxy has a place to go and form a mechanical lock. I like the J-B here also because it sets up hard to help that mechanical lock. I use the G-Flex or Cytec K20 when I want clear. I usually shy away from the quick setting epoxies because they have less bond strength. Overkill, I'm sure. I do a lot of acrylic extensions and install them with a mortise and tenon joint. That way the tenon on the stem inserts into an acrylic mortise rather than wood. No issues with the fit getting loose or too tight with environmental changes.
PremalChheda

Post by PremalChheda »

W.Pastuch wrote:I use a polish brand of epoxy glue (Poxipol) for most stuff, JB Weld for anything that might get hot or has only a small area of adhesion (cannot recommend it enough, it's amazing!) and CA for temporary gluing or stuff that will get mechanically bonded or glued with epoxy later or.
It's important to get to know your glue (Hi, I'm Wojtek, nice to meet you:D), if you buy a different brand each time you might get surprises. That's why I use the Poxipol brand, it may not be the very best epoxy on the market but I can find it everywhere around here and I know exactly how to use it - how to mix it, how it cures, how strong it is, etc., so I have consistent results.
IAWWP. Knowing the materials you use is so important, and that takes experimentation and study before applying it to saleable items.
Premal Chheda
http://www.chhedapipes.com - Just for fun
http://www.smokershaven.com - New & Estate Pipes
http://www.rawkrafted.com - Pipe Making Tools, Materials, & Supplies
jrczz@yahoo.com

Post by jrczz@yahoo.com »

Is there any chance of poisoning from the use of gorilla glue, JB weld, or other epoxies. I have a couple of pipes I would like to repair but have not done so due to that concern.
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

No worries.

Don't use it for something like a chamber patch/fill, but other than that you'll be fine.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.