Dunhill ODA 838 Restoration

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Dunhill ODA 838 Restoration

Post by LatakiaLover »

There are Dunhill collectors, Dunhill ODA collectors, and Dunhill ODA's-of-a-specific-shape collectors.

The last sort are definitely lifers, because there aren't many ODA's in the world to begin with, and finding a specimen of every finish within a specific shape isn't easy. Trying to find a full set of one the scarcest shapes in the ODA range borders on masochistic.

The pipe in this thread was sent to me by one of the last type of collectors. (If he were an athlete he'd want to run the Leadville 100, or climb Mount Everest, I imagine. )

How those guys tend to do it is by filling their collection with whatever they can find, and then never stop playing King of the Hill, swapping out the weak specimens when stronger ones are found.

Dunhill's 838 in the Root finish is a right little piggy in that regard, though, being infamously elusive. Never mind trading up, finding one for sale in pretty much any condition is a rare enough event that you grab first and deal with its issues later.

And here we are. This one had a poorly-made replacement stem (even the dot wasn't round... how's that even possible?!), and the rim had been rounded over at some point with sandpaper and refinished, presumably to remove knock damage. The nomenclature had also suffered from the heavy-handed re-stem (some shaving to achieve level had taken place) and possibly from the rounded rim re-finish (if the entire stummel had been sanded to make the stain color matching easier.)

So, the two main issues with this piece just happened to be what are (by a considerable margin) the two most challenging things to achieve in the pipe repair world: Cutting and leveling a geometric/faceted stem with absolutely ZERO shank manipulation allowed because of the faint nomenclature; and getting a perfect color & translucency match of raw wood to an existing finish when ONLY the rim can be touched. (If an entire stummel can be re-stained, even slightly, matching is much easier. That's how it's usually done. But not in this case. Simply color-buffing the shank would blitz the nomenclature.)

Anyway, there you have it, and here are the pics. (My apologies in advance to anyone using a slow connection):

The Patient:

The Process:

The Result:

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
Bniesen

Re: Dunhill ODA 838 Restoration

Post by Bniesen »

Really incredible work.
sandahlpipe

Post by sandahlpipe »

Lovely work, as always, George! Thanks for sharing!
---
Fail early, fail often. Your success depends on it.

Jeremiah Sandahl
http://sandahlpipe.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

As usual, incredible work.
RickB

Post by RickB »

Man that's pretty. You've done that whole "stem too nice for the stummel" thing again, though!
Chronicling my general ineptitude and misadventures in learning pipe making here: https://www.instagram.com/rustynailbriars/
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

Very nice, thank you for showing the process.
Ken
mightysmurf8201

Post by mightysmurf8201 »

Wow!
#shellaclivesmatter

Emmanuel Atilano
https://www.instagram.com/atilanohandmade/
Charl

Post by Charl »

Beautiful work, George!
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

That really is amazing work! Can I ask what kind of tape you use as the center line of the stem before you start shaping?
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Just ordinary masking tape. It's available in different widths.

Hit the size drop-down on this page to see 'em all:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-2364-Performa ... e+1%2F8%22
pmbattles

Post by pmbattles »

Great, Thanks LL!
pipedreamer

Post by pipedreamer »

You are amazing Sir!!! :notworthy:
JMG

Post by JMG »

Meh.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I missed this thread originally. Once again, it's completely unconvincing, George. Dunhill has never made a stem that nice.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
caskwith

Post by caskwith »

wdteipen wrote:I missed this thread originally. Once again, it's completely unconvincing, George. Dunhill has never made a stem that nice.
Some of the old stems were nice (still not this nice of course), as time has gone on though they get worse and worse. I saw this recent dunhill, a couple of years old maybe and the button looks to have deep file marks at the crease and is so chunky it is ridiculous.

And looks tat the twist on this, worse than one of mine! lol.

LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

I'm not sure why this thread percolated back up after six months, but thanks for the additional feedback & props. :D

10-4 on Dunhill's stem quality having reverted to the dark days of the 1970's over the past few years. Nothing about what they put out anymore excites me in the slightest. Even the stummel shaping has gone clunky.

The same 838 collector found another needs-work specimen recently, so I'll soon being going back into the same facet-filled carnival funhouse. :? Pics when it's cooked (provided I survive, of course).
DocAitch

Post by DocAitch »

You already probably know this or don’t want to know, but I can tell you how the non round white dot was done, having done several like that way back.
Drill a round hole, then take any old piece of white plastic, shape it by hand to a near round piece, put a little glue in the hole and jam in the white plastic, sand off and Voila! Looks sort of like a Dunhill from 6-8’ away.
I remember using that procedure with a blue Bic pen clip to reproduce the dots on a Sasieni
DocAitch
"Hettinger, if you stamp 'hand made' on a dog turd, some one will buy it."
-Charles Hollyday, pipe maker, reluctant mentor, and curmudgeon
" Never show an idiot an unfinished pipe!"- same guy
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

That's sort of scary, Doc. :lol:

No need, either. Just chuck pretty much any material into a hand drill, and hold it against a belt sander. The PROCESS is self centering. Hardly any skill needed.

FWIW, a good source for Sasieni dots are plastic knitting needles. For some reason pastel colors are popular for them, and several shades of blue are readily available. Among them is "Sasieni blue". 8)
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

Question for you, George: Did Dunhill round off the edges of the briar between the two grooves of the bowl in the OP or is that from years of buffing and wear? I like the looks of it. I was just curious if they did that intentionally or not.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

If it was intentional, it would be a first time I've ever seen it thing. Since the rest of the stummel was badly over-buffed (and it's the simplest explanation---evenly rounding the bead would be more work for the Dunhill shop, not less), I'd bet a fair amount that owner exuberance is what caused it.