Can this be fixed?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
NevadaBlue

Can this be fixed?

Post by NevadaBlue »

I got this pretty little Mansion House pipe in a bunch of estate pipes. I really like the shape and it is in good condition overall, but the stem is a mess at the button.

The pipe...

The stem from the bottom... not so bad.

But from the top, it isn't pretty. Can this be repaired? The stem has such a nice shape and marking, I want to save it if possible.

Ken
LatakiaLover

Re: Can this be fixed?

Post by LatakiaLover »

G-Flex epoxy colored black with epoxy pigment. Clean & roughen the edges of the break, seal/protect the airway with a shaped sliver of Delrin, blob the epoxy on and let it cure 100%. Then shape and finish as if it's vulcanite.

https://www.amazon.com/655-8-Pre-Thicke ... rds=g-flex

https://www.amazon.com/System-Three-320 ... black&th=1
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

Thank You! I will give this a go. I was pleasantly surprised by the look and feel of this pipe. I hope it smokes well when I get it finished.
Ken
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

Thanks for the tips. I have made progress on this one.

I was doing fairly well with the shaping after the epoxy cured. The lips were roughly shaped and I was working on the stem. I even taped it to avoid scratching the part that I didn't work on. OOPS, I cut a groove next to the tape, with the jewelers' file. No more tape during that phase. I couldn't see what I was up to.
So, another layer of epoxy was added. Here, it is curing.

That was yesterday. This morning the filler had cured enough to start filing again. I have it roughly shaped now and this is how it looks after a sanding with 400 grit to see the shape. The lips still need to be worked down to size and the airway polished. Then, on to reaming and cleaning the pipe.

Ken
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

Outstanding! :D

To accelerate cure time, set the stem on one of those "back pain style" soft plug-in heating pads, and cover with a little box of aluminum foil to keep the heat in. The temp will stay good and warm (around 100 F) without cooking anything, and reduce G-Flex's cure time from several days to a few hours. Especially handy in the winter if you keep a cold house.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
NevadaBlue

Post by NevadaBlue »

Thanks again for the encouragement and advice.
Ken