Dunhill 1954 patent Tanshell shape 475 re-stem and refinish

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
LatakiaLover

Dunhill 1954 patent Tanshell shape 475 re-stem and refinish

Post by LatakiaLover »

Nothing particularly special happening here, but felt the need to post it because the pipe is MINE, dammit! :mrgreen: 8) :mrgreen:

It's within days of being my birthyear, is a patent Tanshell (rare), one of my favorite shapes, and my favorite Dunhill finish.

Found it a few months ago online and finally made time to git 'er done, as guilty as working on my own stuff makes me feel.

The original stem was "deep green" beyond recovery (the behind-the-button thickness was sub .140"), and had been previously sanded and buffed enough to shrink and distort it. The tenon had also been jacked with (why would anyone shorten a tenon?), and the mortise had become wonky in turn.

All was set right, though, and I couldn't be happier with the critter. 67 years on, and it's new again. :D

UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Re: Dunhill 1954 patent Tanshell shape 475 re-stem and refinish

Post by JMG »

You are some kind of skilled. You should set up a live video one day when you start a repair and just let it roll. I'd pop a bag of popcorn and grab a beer for the show.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad
LatakiaLover

Post by LatakiaLover »

lol

Lee Von Erck actually does that. A live feed/realtime sort of camera setup that overlooks his shop with the main bench in the foreground.

It turns out there's a lot of one-upmanship in the Japanese collecting world (Lee's main fanbase), and guys are willing to pay significantly more for pipes they could watch being made and recorded as a notebook of screenshots.
UFOs must be real. There's no other explanation for cats.
JMG

Post by JMG »

LatakiaLover wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:24 pm t turns out there's a lot of one-upmanship in the Japanese collecting world (Lee's main fanbase), and guys are willing to pay significantly more for pipes they could watch being made and recorded as a notebook of screenshots.
No kidding? Doesn't even have to show a little leg or dance around either, huh? I'll have to remember this when I finally start making again.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad