Is this safe for burl?

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
CedarSlayer

Is this safe for burl?

Post by CedarSlayer »

I found the article that stuck out in my mind as rather off.

This fairly well put fear into me when I saw it. http://books.google.com/books?id=mi0DAA ... uck&f=true

When I researched on the subject of cleaning, I ended up with a lot of descriptions of folk using liquor on pipe cleaners, but this seemed pretty bad to me. Bad on finish, bad on wood, etc... I don't know briar that well, but for just about just about every thing else, soaking in liquor and then heating it up, seems like a bad idea. Casks are charred and filled with liquids, but they are made in ribs and the order is reversed.

Is briar immune to this sort of thing? I am pretty sure a lot of finishes are not.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
DMI

Re: Is this safe for burl?

Post by DMI »

One of the standard ways of cleaning the inside of estate pipes is to fill the inside with salt and isopropyl alcohol, you can also get pipe retorts which let you flush the pipe with boiling alcohol. I have used both methods thousands of times and while spilt alcohol will remove some older finishes modern varnish etc is pretty immune.

I am unaware of any damage caused to the briar.

David.

A quick edit.......because the alcohol and salt remove the moisture from a pipe the tennon can be a bit loose afterwards, this is normally fixed by a couple of smokes or steaming the mortice.
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Would denatured alcohol work as well for this?
Just curious because I have a lot of it and an estate in dire need of cleaning/detox from the previous owners misuse.
P.S.- thank you David for the advice on starting with estates, I'm throughly enjoying this venture :)
On the subject of the "danger" involved I think (no basis, just logic) that alcohol is preferred because it evaporates rather quickly and carries most of the harmful properties away with it. I could be COMPLETELY off base here, but this is what I believe
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
FredS

Post by FredS »

Dixie_piper wrote:Would denatured alcohol work as well for this?
Sure it would work. But I wouldn't do it on a pipe I planned to smoke or pass on to a friend.
"Cut your own wood and you warm yourself twice." - Henry Ford
DMI

Post by DMI »

Denatured alcohol is treated to make it poisonous, any high proof alcohol will do the job with Everclear being the most popular. I once used some poteen (potcheen) which runs at about 180 proof, it's amazing stuff, Isopropyl Alcohol is probably the most frequently reccomended.

If you have a pipe which has had a strong english in it try adding some spirit (clear) vinegar to the salt, it helps to neutralise the odour.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

I wouldn't use denatured alcohol on the interior of a bowl in that manner. Cleaning a pipe stem, sure, but not allowed to soak into the cake and wood. The poisons could potentially remain. Use Everclear if you really want to do that.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Okay, thanks. I figured as much, just wanted to make sure.
Thanks again!
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
CedarSlayer

Post by CedarSlayer »

Erica Arborea is definitly unique. There are few woods that I can think of that you could reliably do this to. You might get away with a good soaking, but you would be expecting to regularly face warping, checking, cracking and even discoloration.

Bob
I would rather look stupid today, than be stupid tomorrow.

http://toolmakingart.com/
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

DMI wrote:Denatured alcohol is treated to make it poisonous, any high proof alcohol will do the job with Everclear being the most popular. I once used some poteen (potcheen) which runs at about 180 proof, it's amazing stuff, Isopropyl Alcohol is probably the most frequently reccomended.

If you have a pipe which has had a strong english in it try adding some spirit (clear) vinegar to the salt, it helps to neutralise the odour.

I've got the stummel cleaning now, checked the liquor cabinet, no everclear. But moonshine is serving as a substitute for now. I am however adding everclear to the "shopping list" during the next trip to the liquor store ;)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Heck, if you can get moonshine, just get the strongest stuff you come across. It should work just as well as Everclear, and it might even impart some nice flavors.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Will do :)
I'm not sure of the proof, but I know when swirled you get bubbles top and bottom, (a safety test that can actually determine how the shine was made and whether or not to expect lead poisoning) it burns clear and uber hot.
On the note of flavors imparted, this was made with peach mash so it has a subtle peach flavor. Not too strong, just enough to make the burn sweeter than usual. It does kick like a three legged mule though, but by the time you feel it, you're already 3 sheets to the wind :lol:
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

Now THAT sounds like good shine! :mrgreen:
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

Yes suh', come straight outta dem' dar' hills ;)

New dumb question here; I tried what someone here (can't recall who exactly) has said worked to clean the really nasty gunk out of the rustication, which is diluted DA with a soft bristled tooth brush. In the process, a wee bit seeped over the rim of the bowl into the chamber maybe 1/8" in. Would the "detox" solution work for removing whatever is left behind?
On that note, the "salt-n-shine" worked splendidly! Thought I'd cracked the shank, but after further inspection the hairline crack was there before just less visible under the filth. Although there was a sandpit (I assume that's what it is) inside the shank just opposite the crack, so... may be through and through? I'll have to see on the first trial smoke, IF I haven't ruined it with that denatured alcohol (Which, I will be using MUCH less in the future)
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
FoxGuy

Post by FoxGuy »

I'm thinkin at this point lay down the pipe and drink the shine

at least it sounds good to me

an old time pipe smoker told me years ago if your pipe gets t osmokin sour dip a pipe cleaner in vodka run it throughthe stem and briar let it sit fore a bit then you will get a good smoke ( a tip he learnd while liberating France during WWII)
Listen.... you can't live long enough to make all your own mistakes !
Charles E. Davis
Dixie_piper

Post by Dixie_piper »

:lol:
Sadly I haven't got but about 2 good swigs of shine left, so it's designated for the chamber treatment.
I'm not too worried about a bad flavor, just the poisons hanging around after the alcohol has evaporated.
I've got a good friend wanting it, so I'll give her a test drive before it leaves my hands and go from there.
No more than what got in the bowl,I imagine it's not a lost cause... least I hope not.
But, reflecting back on what's been said on the subject thus far, this ol' pipe may just be a practice piece
EDIT- I just checked the post I was referencing; he uses rubbing alcohol... dammit :banghead: oh well, live and learn.
Regards,
Adam

Veo Vendice
&
Deum Timete
(family motto)
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

I use rubbing alcohol but the 91% alcohol version. I hear that the 70% is bad for your pipe as the added water will soak in. But then again I am very new to this so I could be off completely. Just my newbie $.02
socrates

Post by socrates »

I use grain alcohol which is the same as ever clear I believe. Wish I could find overproof Rum out here. It is high alcohol and to me at least tastes better than corn liquor and makes a hell of a good Rum punch lol.

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk
mcgregorpipes

Post by mcgregorpipes »

socrates wrote:I use grain alcohol which is the same as ever clear I believe. Wish I could find overproof Rum out here. It is high alcohol and to me at least tastes better than corn liquor and makes a hell of a good Rum punch lol.

I agree you would want to start with something that tastes good. moonshine is full of impurities that could leave a bad odor. used to run off 90%+ ethanol with a column still to make vodka and in the end you could test the impurities by letting some evaporate in a glass and the odor left over is an indication, which would range from almost none for some high end grey goose, to something like caramel acetone for home brew. moonshine is less pure = more smelly residue. on a side note 90% can run your car and it will light on fire until watered down under 70%.
wdteipen

Post by wdteipen »

I don't know. I think if you cut your hearts tight on the spirit run in a refractory still it would make for a very nice liquor for cleaning pipes if you're into that sort of thing. Not that I would know anything about that sort of thing.
Wayne Teipen
Teipen Handmade Briar Pipes
http://www.teipenpipes.com
wisemanpipes

Post by wisemanpipes »

socrates wrote:I use grain alcohol which is the same as ever clear I believe. Wish I could find overproof Rum out here. It is high alcohol and to me at least tastes better than corn liquor and makes a hell of a good Rum punch lol.

if your talking bout cleaning estate pipes and want to use rum. I use wray and nephews over proof to clean. its always been better than everclear and taste marginally better.