Stem On Pipe Too Tight

Discussion of pipe restoration and sales, as well as pipe repair and maintenance tricks.
Wallbright

Stem On Pipe Too Tight

Post by Wallbright »

I know that this is for pipe makers, but I thought that some of you might do pipe repairs as well. I have a BBB Bulldog that the stem fits really tight on, so tight in fact that I am worried every time I take it apart to clean it that I will crack the shank. Do you guys have any suggestions? Here is a picture of the pipe. It is by no means a looker though as the other side is in need of a restoration.

KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Re: Stem On Pipe Too Tight

Post by KurtHuhn »

Stick it in the freezer for a couple hours, then come back to remove it. Chances are it will be loose then. Aside from that, I find buffing some carnuba onto a tight tenon will help it slide more freely. Outside of resizing the tenon, your options are limited.

There is one trick you could use - though I don't suggest you do this unless you're willing to reverse it if things take a bad turn and it ends up too loose. Heat the tenon so that it's pliable, and insert it into the mortis. If all goes well, it will be a much looser fit. But, like I said, I don't actually suggest this - I'm just tossing it out there as something that more experienced folks sometimes do when refurbishing pipes.
Kurt Huhn
AKA: Oversized Ostrogoth
artisan@k-huhn.com
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

KurtHuhn wrote:Stick it in the freezer for a couple hours, then come back to remove it. Chances are it will be loose then. Aside from that, I find buffing some carnuba onto a tight tenon will help it slide more freely. Outside of resizing the tenon, your options are limited.

There is one trick you could use - though I don't suggest you do this unless you're willing to reverse it if things take a bad turn and it ends up too loose. Heat the tenon so that it's pliable, and insert it into the mortis. If all goes well, it will be a much looser fit. But, like I said, I don't actually suggest this - I'm just tossing it out there as something that more experienced folks sometimes do when refurbishing pipes.
Thank you for the quick response Kurt. I will try the freezer trick next time I need to clean it, I have just been sticking a pipe cleaner down it after each smoke like I do with my regular pipes and luckily it goes in without any problem (I have some pipes that just will not let a pipe cleaner go all the way down but I attribute that to the dumb plastic insert used in some Savinelli pipes). I also will try the carnuba wax trick next time I am at my local B&M as I do not own a buffing wheel or any carnuba wax.
baweaverpipes
The Awesomer

Post by baweaverpipes »

Like Kurt said, place it in the freezer. Then it should be easy to take off. Clean the inside of the mortise. Once clean, if it does not remove easily, bees wax does the trick. DO NOT HEAT THE TENON! Again, DO NOT HEAT THE TENON. You will be asking for trouble!!!
I don't know if I mentioned this, but DO NOT HEAT THE TENON!
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

baweaverpipes wrote:Like Kurt said, place it in the freezer. Then it should be easy to take off. Clean the inside of the mortise. Once clean, if it does not remove easily, bees wax does the trick. DO NOT HEAT THE TENON! Again, DO NOT HEAT THE TENON. You will be asking for trouble!!!
Noted, and I am too afraid to heat the tenon. I will leave that to the pros. I am a new pipe smoker and restorer. I just started restoring estate pipes because the cost of new pipes exceeded my budget. Pipe smoking and restoring has turned to be a very relaxing new hobby and I hope to keep at it for years. I would eventually like to make my own pipe but I have never done any kind of wood working before so I am very timid.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Once you get the stem out (you've had it out before, I assume - there's no chance that this pipe screws together?) see if there's any junk in the mortise. If a pipe is real tight I'll take a little rolled up 220 grit sandpaper and just spin it inside the mortise to kind of remove any debris or maybe just take a tiny bit of wood out. It takes 2 seconds and is low-risk.
ALL YOUR PIPE ARE BELONG TO US!
Wallbright

Post by Wallbright »

Sasquatch wrote:Once you get the stem out (you've had it out before, I assume - there's no chance that this pipe screws together?) see if there's any junk in the mortise. If a pipe is real tight I'll take a little rolled up 220 grit sandpaper and just spin it inside the mortise to kind of remove any debris or maybe just take a tiny bit of wood out. It takes 2 seconds and is low-risk.
Yes I can get it out but it is just alot of work and I worry about cracking the shank because I have to work it back and forth. No it isn't a screw in it is just a regular push in. I will try the sand paper trick if I get desperate. I like that it is tight fitting as that is always better than too loose but it is a little too tight for my preference.
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

As long as it smokes well, I don't think I'd even worry about taking it apart. Just run a pipe cleaner down it after each smoke until it comes out clean, and you should be okay for several years. I've got pipe here that haven't been apart in 10 years or so. The sole exception is that damnable Peterson with a bilge, or cesspool, or whatever it called.
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
KurtHuhn
Site Admin

Post by KurtHuhn »

baweaverpipes wrote:DO NOT HEAT THE TENON! Again, DO NOT HEAT THE TENON. You will be asking for trouble!!!
Yeah, maybe I could have been a little stronger in my wording. :D
Kurt Huhn
artisan@k-huhn.com
e Markle

Post by e Markle »

KurtHuhn wrote:As long as it smokes well, I don't think I'd even worry about taking it apart. Just run a pipe cleaner down it after each smoke until it comes out clean, and you should be okay for several years.
That's what I would do - just run a cleaner through it and call it good. If it has a stinger in it, I'd probably just remove it. If you're going to do that, just be sure to heat the tenon first... :)
JMG

Post by JMG »

Before you smoke it you can try taking a plain ole #2 pencil and rubbing the tennon with the pencil lead. It will help it go into the mortise a lot easier. However, not too sure how much of it will stay during a smoke until you want to take it out. Worth a shot, though.
"No reserves, no retreats, no regrets"

"When you're dumb...you've got to be tough." - my dad